Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fish Oil Supplements

Rate this topic

Guest Dataman

Guest Dataman

Ok my VA Dr suggested I start taking Fish Oil.

Got some 1000mg with Omega 3. Been taking 1 per day. I had problems with my knee before starting this. Now all my Joints hurt. I have Traumatic Arthritis in left hand and back. Now left knee hurts.

Can this stuff cause joint pain? Arthritis? Bone Scan of my hurt knee shows early arthartis.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Dataman:

Hell if I know the VA Doc told me same thing but I already felt like I was taking to many meds to add another one.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Ok my VA Dr suggested I start taking Fish Oil.

Got some 1000mg with Omega 3. Been taking 1 per day. I had problems with my knee before starting this. Now all my Joints hurt. I have Traumatic Arthritis in left hand and back. Now left knee hurts.

Can this stuff cause joint pain? Arthritis? Bone Scan of my hurt knee shows early arthartis.

Hi Dataman,

Here is what I found for you. I use this site often and it is in my favorites due to the fact that I am changing meds a lot and have many illnesses.

"Rheumatoid arthritis (fish oil)

Multiple randomized controlled trials report improvements in morning stiffness and joint tenderness with the regular intake of fish oil supplements for up to three months. Benefits have been reported as additive with anti-inflammatory medications such as NSAIDs (like ibuprofen or aspirin). However, because of weaknesses in study designs and reporting, better research is necessary before a strong favorable recommendation can be made. Effects beyond three months of treatment have not been well evaluated."

It was rated with good scientific evidence to back this up.

the site is:

http://medlineplus.gov/

I take many natual supplements because I am allergic to NSAIDS.

While you are there check out Bromelain too. It is a natural pineapple enzyme that also helps inflammation. I take this daily for arthritis in my right knee.

Good Luck,

Tamara

Edited by tdak

Have a great day!!!

tdak

"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. "...Ronald Reagan

I have arthritis and take Omega 3, I noticed a little more pain in my ankles but has alleviated since I started taking osteo biflex once a day. They also have just straight glucosamine as well. I was having a lot of trouble with general stiffness (not painful) that has alleviated in most of my joints.

Sarah

50% SC

Sarah's Website

Keep smiling, people will wonder what you're up to!

I recently started taking fish oil capsules because of the heart health benefits. Hadn't heard that fish oil could help joint pain. Would be nice. I gots plenty of joints & most of them seem to hurt on any given day.

Liz