Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Changing direct deposit check

Rate this question

Frank E. Game

Question

If you have an account on Va.gov you can do it online. You can also call the VA call center and they can put in the request. They don’t do it right there that I know of, I don’t think they can see that info, but we can (VSRs). Or you can send the request in via mail. 

https://www.va.gov/change-direct-deposit/

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

They have given you good advice and by all means be careful that you do it correctly.

I have 4 different checking and savings accounts at the 4 major banks and receive VA direct deposit in only one primary bank.   Therefore I can and do transfer monies between the banks and accounts and I will never change my VA direct deposit from my primary bank to any other bank as this is way too important for me to screw with.  So far so good for over 30 years now.

And no I do not pay any bank account fees to the banks due to my balance or veteran status.

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.7c3053794369e014e2ea83de19f3fbaf.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970

Its so critical to "get it right", that I have never changed my bank.  Instead, if I dont like that bank, I just open another account, and transfer the money into that account, and leave alone the account that "receives" VA checks.  If you must change accounts, say for competitive reasons, then do so, however.  Some banks just charge too many "junk" fees, like a fee every month for having a checking account.  I always ask before opening an account.  

On ATM's.  Many of us have our VA check deposited, then get some "spending cash" at an ATM when we need it.  If the ATM is "in network" of your bank, there should be no fees, so try to get a bank that has an ATM you can use near you, so you dont have to pay 3 bucks or more every time you get YOUR cash.  

Some banks will even cover fees of any ATM, whether or not they are "in network".  

Unless there is a compelling reason, I dont change banks. If your bank IS CHARGING fees, such as monthly charges for checking account, try going to them and asking:

Do you have an account without fees?  Im a "Veteran, senior, etc" and other banks do this for us without fees.  If you can not, I will be forced to change banks.  

Many banks have several types of accounts, "including" ONE with no fees for seniors, Veterans, etc or even if you have auto deposits.  They wont tell you about it, however, unless you ask.  They would prefer you hand them over your money, instead, but you should ask.  If they dont have a no fee account, start looking for another bank.  Most do, but they dont always tell you this unless you ask.  

Edited by broncovet

12 hours ago, Frank E. Game said:

Can you please give me information concerning how to move a direct deposit VA benefit check each month to a different bank.

I would say one of the most important things is to keep in mind is that if you do decide to change banks, make sure you keep your current bank account open until your new bank starts getting your direct deposit checks.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

This is unbelievably important. VA batches and sends payments prior to the pay date, sometimes up to a week prior. I don't know when the cutoff for processing DD changes it prior to those batches being sent to the fed since I don't do anything with or work with anyone in fiduciary. If you submit a DD change in the 2nd half of a month and then close your current account anticipating the switch over you could be in for a very unpleasant surprise for the next month or more. Always wait until the new account starts getting transactions. Its no different than switching over any other account. I know my bank holds a checking account open for at least 30 days after the creation of a new one for this reason. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)