Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ptsd lay letter

Rate this question

hwill

Question

I filed for anxiety, and ptsd about a month ago. They request that I complete a va form 21-0781, and 21-0781a. What is the reason that I have to complete the 0781a because I wasn't assaulted or anything like that. I'm filing due to combat stressors only.  I was informed to file by my Va health care provider after talking with her about the issues I was having. I talked the Mental health provider via teleconference due to Codvid at the time about a year ago or so. I went back and reviewed their notes that stated that I had anxiety disorder and depression. My Va health provider stated that she diagnosed me with Ptsd, anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Which I'm currently taking medication for. After my last visit I decided to go ahead and file for it after waiting over a year. I completed the forms and loaded them on the system. I was wondering if I should get a lay statement from my wife if it would help the process. or possible friends.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

2 answers to this question

They probably sent both by mistake, or they mistook something in your claim as a claim for MST. Just send back the 0781 and indicate that you are filing for combat stressors only. 

If you can get lay statements, get them. They do contribute to the claim by establish times, places, symptoms, etc. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Yes your lay statements from yourself, wife, friends and associates can be very helpful in conjunction with other important medical and other evidence to support you claim for PTSD and evidence of exposure to a combat stressor such as Purple heart, medal of valor, unit action reports, news articles about your incident, pay records in country and unit, etc., etc., photos of you in country with your unit and at or near the location.

Since 1998 I have been rated 70% for Nam combat PTSD and now 100% P&T due to other medical issues.  Before that from 1985 I was rated 50 and 30% for PTSD and have handled successfully all my claims and appeals to the BVA and CAVC since 85 and 98.

Be proactive and send copies of your medical records and PTSD medicine prescriptions along with diagnosis notes to the VARO with your claim.  DO NOT ASSUME THE VARO WILL ADMIT THEY ALREADY HAVE THESE RECORDS.

Sometimes they are mistaken/dishonest.  I know this from 30 years experience.

My comment/opinion is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.7c3053794369e014e2ea83de19f3fbaf.jpg