Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Chronic Sinunitis

Rate this question

spike

Question

I have not been able in 5 years been able to find out how to SC sinunitis....I have been shown many things that I was treated for it several times in the Marines. I have shown I was in a warehouse exposed to a lot of things. I even indicated to the VA that I was exposed to petro exposure for 4 years. Yet they say they cant prove SC for this. I know I only suffered from this since i was in the USMC and I dont know how to prove it. Please help.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Was this listed on your discharge physical or is it in your SMRs as treated at all?

Can you get a buddy statement showing that they served with you, when -same unit- etc and were aware you had sinus condition?

Do you have asthma or allergies now that could be due to past sinus condition?

Did you ever see a medic for balance or ear problems that were due to clogged sinuses? How about allergies?

to Afganistan/Iraq vets- I bet many of you have sinus and allergy problems from the sand.You should claim these conditions if they are still affecting you.

Claims like this take an IMO and even then an IMO might not be able to fully help SC this condition.

I have seen claims like this at the BVA-anything is possible to SC- but it takes medical evidence that strongly shows inservice potential etiology for these problems by occupation or MOS, or place of service.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

We were given benadryl and claritin. I know that my whole unit we would come back from run (with best run pfts) but go back to our unit etc and once we got back to the unit we would hack and be sick for about an hour after...it was like we were allerigic honestly to the building. The building was evac'd other than us Marines. People in nuclear suits came over and drilled and did results, after a woman who was preg in our unit claimed she was extremely dizzy and problems breathing at our unit. Our building was found to be built on a old not properly destroyed fuel farm.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

I also suffer from chronic sinusitis and was supposed to have surgery while in the army but due to shortages of ENT's it did not happen. I leanred only yesterday through IRIS that in order to be SC'd for this I had to submit another claim since I am pending for PTSD. I have had five surgeries to remove polyps; clear the sinus' and reshape the interior to assist with breathing, but I still get chronic and severe nosebleeds and problems breathing. I do have my military med records which indicate on the ETS physical the nasal problems and also the records showing I needed surgery and the VA asked me to submit them right away by Facsimile which I did yesterday. Thats the only way I can think of to connect it and thank God I kept those medical records.

Guest RickB54
I have not been able in 5 years been able to find out how to SC sinunitis....I have been shown many things that I was treated for it several times in the Marines. I have shown I was in a warehouse exposed to a lot of things. I even indicated to the VA that I was exposed to petro exposure for 4 years. Yet they say they cant prove SC for this. I know I only suffered from this since i was in the USMC and I dont know how to prove it. Please help.

You prove it the same way you prove any other service connected condition.

1. Treatment of condition while on active duty

2. Treatment after service

3. Current treatment and doctor statement showing a clear nexus.

4. or if 1 is not possible, then show a nexus as a secondary condition

I have been able to prove treatment. I have been able to get someone stating they reconize that I had it and was treated for it but what causes sinunitis i guess is where i am having difficulty connecting the two

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• HadIt.com Elder

Spike,

"Yet they say they cant prove SC for this."

Who is "they"? The VA or an SO. Are you saying the case has already been denied? Did they deny the claim without a C&P exam. If so,when was it denied. If you were denied without a C&P, I will have a lot to say.

If you were not already denied by the VA consider the following.

If you were treated for sinusitis symptoms in the military with meds and you currently have the same symptoms and you file a claim the VA should do an exam to determine if they are related. You can also take your SMR to a current doctor have him review it and get a nexus letter. The best bet is to go to a VA hospital and get them to write the nexus letter. They should have a format to follow that is accepted by the VA. A private doctor might not follow the proper format for the letter.

I have seen sinusitis hard fought by the VA. I have total blockage of both nostrils which can be rated as high as 30%. I read several BVA cases on sinusitis. It really depends on the exact terminology used in the SMR. The VA likes to claim that the symptoms in the service were not typical of chronic sinusitis.

You really do not have to prove what causes sinusitis. The only requirement is that they determine that you had it in the military, you have it now and there is a nexus.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.