Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ADDED BENEFITS??

Rate this question

W.R. SAHA

Question

I'm a 2 tour Vietnam Vet (68-70) and have been T & P drawing 100% VA disability pay for 23 years, PTSD. 

I was just diagnosed with high grade bladder cancer at VA this past week.  I had the bladder tumor removed a few days ago.  Next week I start a once a week for 6 weeks VA hospital medical treatment to keep the cancer in remission.  i have read that bladder cancer and being a Vietnam Vet that this is service connected due to Agent Orange and is considered a 100% rated disability. 
Because I am already T & P can I gain anything additional filing with VA for this bladder cancer issue?? D.A.V. says I have nothing to gain.  What do you say?? If I DO have something to gain please indicate some VA reference manual/page. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Since you are already 100% P&T for many years then if you receive one or more additional rating adding up to at least 60% for a single or combined disabilities then you will automatically qualify for additional SMC-S monthly rating that pays well over $300.00.  The additional rating or ratings would have to be separate from your now existing disabilities.  In other words different body parts or conditions such as GERD being separate from PTSD and Sleep Apnea and different from/than heart disease.

I believe your VSO may be wrong in this and others can provide you with more info and the relevant 38 CFR regulations and 38 U.S. Code.

I am sorry for your cancer diagnosis as I am also a Nam vet with AO heart disease. Good luck.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.66e9e75bebf35a15ff490302ec523268.jpg

After a veteran is rated 100% schedular or TDIU, additional ratings fall under the SMC category. So, yes, it is possible to get additional benefits 38 CFR 3.350 Special Monthly Compensation. I know it is a lot to take in, but you can review it and contact an accredited VSO. If your VSO won't help on not familiar with SMC, you make want to get help from a different one. 

eCFR :: 38 CFR 3.350 -- Special monthly compensation ratings. 

SMC CHART 2023 VA Special Monthly Compensation Rates | Veterans Affairs

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Greeter

I personally would go for it. Not sure if you would receive the SMC s that long because the temporary 100 percent may not be permanent. Regardless if you have the fight in you to go for 450 dollars for 6-12 months that’s up to you. I wish you the best in regards to your cancer treatment. Hang in there

One type of SMC which is particularly advantageous to veterans is SMC(s). SMC(s) is available to veterans who:

1. have a 100 percent rating and an additional disability rated at or combining to 60 percent or more, or
  2. who are substantially confined to his or her dwelling or immediate premises as a result of a service-connected disability.

The current SMC-S rate for veterans without dependents is $3,486.65 per month.

This rate increases depending on the veteran’s marital status and other circumstances.

6 minutes ago, toddt said:

The current SMC-S rate for veterans without dependents is $3,486.65 per month.

I posted the current SMC CHART, and it has the Current rate for SMC-S without dependents is set at $4,054.12 and OfCourse that amount is about to change and increase with the new COLA. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Greeter

Pac-Man 

Well at least we got a cola bump. I just wish it was more reflected toward inflation and the true cost of things.