Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Disability

Rate this question

Moonpiebunny

Question

The VA will request records until they think they tried enough which could be only once or several times. Depending on the evidence in your records, the VA may not even need them. I was granted an EED (Earlier Effective Date) of TDIU and I filled out the forms but told the VA two of the three agencies that I used to work had been consolidated and no longer exist in any way shape or form.   

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Welcome to hadit.  With PTSD you need to show a "stressor".  If you served in combat zone, just being in a combat zone is a stressor.  Surely, it must be a stressor to know there are people out there that are trying to kill you.  

If you have not been in combat, you may need to document a "stressor event".  Some stress events are things like your buddy getting shot, moving dead bodies, sexual attack(s), or some other event or events.  

One or more of your military buddies can testify that they saw you (experience a stressor in service, such as one or more of those events I mentioned, plus any others "that could cause stress", that I did not mention.  Best is an eye witness.  

A 21-4142 is your authorization to release medical records.  We dont know how many doctors treated you, how many hospitals, etc., so we dont know how many is necessary (1 for each doctor, 1 for hospital)

You do have the option of not releasing all your medical records, just those with doctors or hospitals you think are relevant to va benefits.  For example, if you are applying for ptsd, it may not be relevant to release a doctor or hospital giving you the covid 19 vaccine.  

However, if you were confined to a hosptial for ptsd issues, well you certainly want that as evidence, so sign the form releasing the evidence, one for the doctor, one for the hospital.  

Not to butt in here but since when has just "being in a combat zone" qualified as a stressor?? This is the first I've heard of it.  I can see a CIB, PH, CMB, CAB serving as stressor verification but just serving in a combat zone, sorry I'll have to disagree.  

There are other ways to verify a stressor, ie: decrease in performance level, article 15's, captain's masts, witness/buddy statement's, newspaper accounts, usual activities of a particular MOS, sexual assaults, etc..

Please correct on the combat zone thing, if it's changed.

I also want to note here that VA personnel rarely review the whole claims file, they, often, generally just go w/the previous rater's decision, especially as the file gains thickness.  Employees appear to be evaluated based on number of and completion of claim, not accuracy, which guarantees them future work.

Some details: 

Maybe I should mention I got ptsd from my childhood from being raped. Being in the army triggered it by being sexually assaulted. I can't prove I was because you know. Nobody believes me or I get kicked out for lying. 

Now today 10 years past I'm taking meds for panic attacks. Can't drive can't eat. 

Exam doctor for the VA agrees I need help. Badly. 

I went to the doctor once for depression in the army. Hopefully that can add to the evidence 

For the record, no one here rates you or decides your claim, we actually have no idea of what evidence is or is not in your file. Ask all the questions you like, and we may or may not have the answer. The bottom line is if you feel that you have a condition that should be service connected then by all means file your claims. 

With that said, I had a senior supervisor tell me years ago that I had no disability symptoms that would award me service connection. Now, I have been rated 100% P & T schedular for well over a decade and a half and I just received not one but two separate EEDs (earlier Effective dates) from the BVA. Don't let anyone make you feel that you do not qualify for benefits.    

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

"Or was this a VA psychiatrist that recently diagnosed you." The answer is yes. 
ive been to counseling in my childhood for rape. 
I believe the VA psychiatrist along with my civilian "therapist" diagnosed me with the same thing. it MIGHT help. but I can't prove that I was aggravated during war time. I got deployed for 11 months, and hearing missiles over head every like 30 minutes didn't bother me at all. The only thing that bothered me was my supervisors thinking it was ok to sexually harrass me. and without proof of that knowledge i think getting the "proof" would be from doctors and my heresay. 

I have to take Lorazepam every day to keep my panic attacks .. gone. I know it aint JUST my childhood.