Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hemochromatosis as a VA disability?

Rate this question

Sallan57

Question

Back in the late 80s early 90s when I was 30-35 I would try to donate at our employers Blood Bank and would be turned away as being anemic (low iron). In 2000 on a fluke job change physical, at Kaiser Permanete in San Diego, Dr. Vincent Felitti a renowned physician and hemochromitosis expert at the time, just so happened to randomly screen my blood for feritin (iron) levels and was diagnosed with hemochromitosis. For about 15 yrs I did quarterly phebotomies. Now 8 yrs later my VA oncologist says my bloodwork shows feritin, thus my hemochromatosis, is under control. My best friend never knew he had it until he was 50 and needed a hear, liver and kidney, transplants. He died less than a year later on the waiting list. I know of no other way a person can contract the condition other than genetic?

I note from previous discussions on articles from various sites that the VA has disability ratings for hemochromatosis. My question is: how can a veteran claim hemochromatosis as service connected? Seems impossible to claim as a secondary condition also. I did read where certain solvents and/or chemicals may cause hemochromatosis? Depending on certain factors its considered a social security disability. Does anybody have a reference as to why hemochromatosis is considered a VA disability? Thank you

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Hadit.com

I am not suggesting, promoting or recommending any legal firm but here is some information. 

Hemochromatosis VA disability rating

Hemochromatosis is a disorder that causes the body to store too much iron. This excess iron can then damage organs, including the liver. The only way to treat hemochromatosis is to remove blood (and, therefore, iron) from the body regularly.

The VA also rates hemochromatosis with diagnostic code 7345 in the Schedule of Ratings for the Digestive System. It can be rated at 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, or 100%, depending on the severity and frequency of symptoms. 

VA Disability Ratings for Liver Diseases Like Fatty Liver, Cirrhosis, and Hepatitis (woodslawyers.com)

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Founder

Here's a link to BVA cases with Hemochromatosis in the decision. Sometimes it's good to read the grants and the denials to better articulate your claims.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.