VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver Program and Housebound

jdman

Question

My wife was denied last year for the Caregiver program. I was recently awarded an increase in my Depression from 70 to 100%. I was approved for Housebound. I was awarded to increase in my Depression due to my suicidal thoughts daily and due to this my wife cannot work. She basically is just trying to keep me alive. Is it worth it to re apply for the Caregiver Program due to this or it wont matter? 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would have your wife reapply.  I think the Caregivers program turns everybody down the first time.  Do you have a  physical disability as well?  VA has perverted the intent of the Caregivers Program. They pretend you must be bedridden to get the care.  If your wife has had to quit work to care for you then you deserve it.   Maybe get a doctor's note saying if you don't have care from your wife you will need to be put in a nursing home.   You are entitled to VA nursing home care.   VA does not want to pay for that.  You have to stand on their necks to get help.  I might write my congressman as well.

Read what I have written concerning the PCAFC caregiver program and the appealls process at my website 

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the problem is the DBQ the social worker uses to evaluate the veteran.  I talked to a social worker today just to increase my hours from Home Instead and get them more directed to my needs instead of their needs.  

Tomorrow I am going to cancel my appointment on the 26th because I do not have anyone to help me get dressed.  In the case above as with mine, we probably answered the questions wrong for the DBQ to get the right score for our needs.

I ordered some bib coveralls thinking they would be like the old denim ones that had hooks to hook on the front that I could bend a little and get the straps which would be too long but I would be able to shorten them on the front after I managed to reach them and get them hooked.  Got them today and cannot do it.  Even in rethinking my plan, I probably would not have been able to make the reaches because of the stenosis in my neck that causes my problem in self dressing.  Unfortunately the overalls came and I tried to put them on after my talk to the SW.  So I was too upbeat at my problem solving that had not been solved.

The DBQ is not directed at observation needs.  I have epilepsy and need to have someone make sure I take my medications.  I also have spinal disc disease and can get down and not able to get up.  Missing too often so I am going to have to ask for in home care by a live in or just stay in house bound.  The other option is a nursing home away from family which is not an option as far as I am concerned.  I have a call button but because of the CTE from the old TBI it is never with me when I need it.  Mostly it is on the charger.  So the SW screener made a big deal of that without listening to the why.  They see everyone staying home as mentally fit to do that or they should be in a skilled nursing facility.  Never mind what the PCAFC says or anything else on va.gov.