Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SAH Grant SNAFU

Rate this question

rentalguy1

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

So, I was approved for the SAH Grant last year without even asking for it when I was awarded a single 100% rating for LOU of both feet (yep, I got the automobile grant, too). At first the lady from the VARO in Nashville was hot and heavy about it and I had a home visit scheduled very quickly. The day came and she was a no show. I called her that afternoon to see if I had the appointment time wrong, and she said that I had the right time, but due to the government operating on a budgetary continuing resolution that her office's travel pay was now severely restricted and that she would update me when she had new information. That was last summer. I have spoken with her twice since then, the last time was in January when she called me to touch base. She is claiming the same story. Now, I know that this falls under the VA's famous SNAFU category, but something seems fishy. When it comes to the VA I don't often get a gut feeling that something is amiss, but this time I do. Am I overthinking it, or should I do some digging. If I need to dig, how?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

VA is still under a CR. In March, they'll do it all over again. As for now, we are operating on a 'last years funding' basis, and other things like hiring are also limited. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, but what about the vets that already have construction in process? Did they waive the periodic inspections or can they still drive out for those? I ask because she said there are two in that category near me and another vet at the beginning like me.

That I don't know since I don't work with the SAH grants people, I was just confirming where she said we are under a CR - that much is true, and I know it has affected us on the benefits side of things, so hearing that it affecting another section in some way, to me, would not be unexpected. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger dodger. Thanks. I'll try to relax over it. BTW, I'm a guitar nerd, too. I just wish my hands would cooperate like they used to.