Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shoulder claim question.

Rate this question

Marc D

Question

Im filing a claim for bilateral shoulder pain. I tore my left shoulder labrum doing PT in the gym in Kuwait, but never got seen because it was the week right before the invasion in 2003.  Never had it fixed before I got out cause I had to extend for ACL/Meniscus repair in 2005. 

2014 I had a primary care visit for left shoulder pain and a lidocaine injection. A few months later an MRI that diagnosed a complex left shoulder torn labrum, old fracture and osteoarthritis.

The pain is now over on my right shoulder and I think there may be some issues on that side. I also keep having left side trap muscle pain with tingling in the upper back and arms/hands. 

So with the bilateral stuff I’m throwing in the trap muscle issue, which I was seen by a dr for but never x-rayed. 

**My question is, I have an MRI/Diagnosis for my left….but nothing for the right. Do I need to try and get an MRI for my right through the VA or community care? Or am I good? I feel like when this gets to the rater or VA they will deny because I don’t have one.****

Just FYI- Never filed  claim because I was under the impression it needed to be documented while in. I did get a buddy letter from guy in my squad I was lifting with and counciling statements from my Sgt saying use the gym for PT on our own 

• Community Owner

My first question is are you ratted for your left shoulder? If not this is how to handle it.

Go to the nearest VA Clinic. Before you go lookup and see if your doc is on the community care list. If not find one close to you.

When you go to the clinic tell them you need an appointment to see doc/np. 

When you go in for your appoitment start by telling the doc just what you said hear. 

"Doc I tore my left shoulder labrum doing PT in the gym in Kuwait, but never got seen because it was the week right before the invasion in 2003.  Never had it fixed before I got out cause I had to extend for ACL/Meniscus repair in 2005. In 2014 I had a primary care visit for left shoulder pain and a lidocaine injection. A few months later an MRI that diagnosed a complex left shoulder torn labrum, old fracture and osteoarthritis. The pain is now over on my right shoulder and I think there may be some issues on that side. I also keep having left side trap muscle pain with tingling in the upper back and arms/hands. I would like  a referral to community care orthopedic Surgeon, (Insert your doc if he is listed in  or the one you looked up.)"

What the doc should do is type all this in the VA system. What you have done is create the link to where you injured your self and made up for the missing medical record in your file.

If you have been rated you change the script a little like this. "Doc I tore my left shoulder labrum doing PT in the gym in Kuwait, but never got seen because it was the week right before the invasion in 2003. I was treated by XXXXX in the community and need to see them again because the pain is now over on my right shoulder and I think there may be some issues on both sides. I would like  a referral to community care orthopedic surgeon, (Insert your doc if he is listed in  or the one you looked up.)"

I had similar problems with my hands and it turned out I had issues with disks in my neck. Depending on what the orthopedic surgeon says the neck could be claimed as secondary to your shoulders.

• HadIt.com Elder
12 hours ago, jbasser said:

Try to get a MRI of the Right Shoulder and stick to the buddy statements to direct service connect it. Steer away from the neck unless you have a documented neck injury. A secondary to the neck would require a neck to be service connected primary.  Another avenue for the Right shoulder would be over compensation since trhe left one was injured and you may have over used the right one. You may need an IMO to assist.

Difficult to injure the shoulder without whiplash.  If no whiplash symptoms though, J is right.  Stick to the shoulder.