Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shoulder claim question.

Rate this question

Marc D

Question

Im filing a claim for bilateral shoulder pain. I tore my left shoulder labrum doing PT in the gym in Kuwait, but never got seen because it was the week right before the invasion in 2003.  Never had it fixed before I got out cause I had to extend for ACL/Meniscus repair in 2005. 

2014 I had a primary care visit for left shoulder pain and a lidocaine injection. A few months later an MRI that diagnosed a complex left shoulder torn labrum, old fracture and osteoarthritis.

The pain is now over on my right shoulder and I think there may be some issues on that side. I also keep having left side trap muscle pain with tingling in the upper back and arms/hands. 

So with the bilateral stuff I’m throwing in the trap muscle issue, which I was seen by a dr for but never x-rayed. 

**My question is, I have an MRI/Diagnosis for my left….but nothing for the right. Do I need to try and get an MRI for my right through the VA or community care? Or am I good? I feel like when this gets to the rater or VA they will deny because I don’t have one.****

Just FYI- Never filed  claim because I was under the impression it needed to be documented while in. I did get a buddy letter from guy in my squad I was lifting with and counciling statements from my Sgt saying use the gym for PT on our own 

Hi Marc D,

I would put in your claim with their lay statement and with your own lay statement.  You will probably need to appeal it and keep pushing it, but it is worth a try.  See what they come back with after you put in for it.  

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Marc D said:

Im filing a claim for bilateral shoulder pain. I tore my left shoulder labrum doing PT in the gym in Kuwait, but never got seen because it was the week right before the invasion in 2003.  Never had it fixed before I got out cause I had to extend for ACL/Meniscus repair in 2005. 

2014 I had a primary care visit for left shoulder pain and a lidocaine injection. A few months later an MRI that diagnosed a complex left shoulder torn labrum, old fracture and osteoarthritis.

The pain is now over on my right shoulder and I think there may be some issues on that side. I also keep having left side trap muscle pain with tingling in the upper back and arms/hands. 

So with the bilateral stuff I’m throwing in the trap muscle issue, which I was seen by a dr for but never x-rayed. 

**My question is, I have an MRI/Diagnosis for my left….but nothing for the right. Do I need to try and get an MRI for my right through the VA or community care? Or am I good? I feel like when this gets to the rater or VA they will deny because I don’t have one.****

Just FYI- Never filed  claim because I was under the impression it needed to be documented while in. I did get a buddy letter from guy in my squad I was lifting with and counciling statements from my Sgt saying use the gym for PT on our own 

Need an MRI of the neck also.  May have damaged the cervical discs or vertebra in that first injury.  I had cervical spine SC in 2020, 51 years after the injury that caused an undiagnosed disc herniation.  I had a slight loss of sensation on the left forearm that caused me to not be able to feel mosquito bites on that part of my arm until 2003.  That change was enough to get the 20% for cervical disc disease.  Going to ask for more because stenosis in the neural foramen is causing motion limitations causing difficulty getting dressed.  Will ask CCK to submit the claim so it can be decided by the BVA during appeal.

Put in the claim.  The examinations should be done from that.  If they are incomplete complain at the BVA and they should send them back to be done right.  If the BVA judge does not, appeal to the CAVC.  A pro-bono attorney should be able to get it back to the BVA for the right orders for examination.

Edited by Lemuel
add info

1 hour ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Hi Marc D,

I would put in your claim with their lay statement and with your own lay statement.  You will probably need to appeal it and keep pushing it, but it is worth a try.  See what they come back with after you put in for it.  

Thanks. Yeah guess we will have to see. I put in the claim in January and I have my C&P Friday. I was reading a lot of Veterans Benifets post on Reddit and I see a lot of denials. I have an MRI for my left….was thinking they may say not to my right cause I have nothing. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Try to get a MRI of the Right Shoulder and stick to the buddy statements to direct service connect it. Steer away from the neck unless you have a documented neck injury. A secondary to the neck would require a neck to be service connected primary.  Another avenue for the Right shoulder would be over compensation since trhe left one was injured and you may have over used the right one. You may need an IMO to assist.

10 hours ago, Marc D said:

Thanks. Yeah guess we will have to see. I put in the claim in January and I have my C&P Friday. I was reading a lot of Veterans Benifets post on Reddit and I see a lot of denials. I have an MRI for my left….was thinking they may say not to my right cause I have nothing. 

They might say no, but that is why you find out and appeal it.  I have won all 4 of mine.  Keep fighting and you will get there.