Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Community Care TKR-how to file

Rate this question

auenone

Question

Have an upcoming TKR in April and want to get all of the i's dotted and T's crossed. VA sent me to community care. I would like to know what I need from the doctor to file for total disability for 4 months. Thanks.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Forgot: Dr. Baldauf is well known in Las Vegas. He scoped my knee and actually straightened out the leg. Unfortunately, it also made the bone on bone a little worse. It used to lock up pretty bad but not as often, but when it does now it is more intense. I think his Dad was a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne.

I did file an appeal for a rejected claim and received a call from a senior DRO that told me he granted the appeal. I asked him why it was rejected initially and he said it was a lower level DRO that didn’t have much experience. He said we usually give combat veterans what they ask for, which surprised me. I do have PTSD, used to be real bad until I met the wife. She still thinks it’s bad.   The VA did give me a CPAP machine for 68 episodes an hour average and everybody saying I should file. I’m past 70 with no kids. Other than the disabilities from the military, I’m in halfway decent shape.

• HadIt.com Elder
16 hours ago, broncovet said:

While Im not sure of your health records, nor your disabilities, many/most Veterans seek "at least" 100 percent as the goal, "assuming of course" that you are unable to work.  Remember, VA compensation is used to compensate us for the loss in earning capacity due to a service connected illness or injury.  Thus, if you are unable to work, the idea is to get to 100 percent or more.  Yes, there is "above" 100 percent.  Its a common myth that benefits max out at 100 percent.  

Example:  100 percent, for a married Vet is $3946 per month, while an SMC R2 is over $10,000 per month.  If my grade school math teacher was right, $10,000 per month is "much more" than 100 percent $3946 per month.  Almost 3 times as much.  100 percent "is not" the maximum.  Above 100 percent, you seek special monthly compensation, and, of course, not everyone qualifies.  

My advice is simply to seek an increase "and" convalescent rating for your TKR.  You could be awarded one, none, or both.  Your conditions have obviously worsened or else your surgeon would not have recommended TKR.  (My opinion, only).  Dont forget disabilities that you may be aware of, but wasnt sure if you could get those SC, also.  Arthritis, for example, often comes with knee issues, and sometimes spreads to other parts of the body.  As always, however, as you pointed out, yep, you will have to deal with the VA.  YOu may get lucky and get awarded benefits from the get go, or you may get an ornery rating speciallist who makes you work for it and appeal, like I had to do.  

While it did take significant time and effort on my part, I can tell you few things worthwhile are ever easy.  And, the harder it is to get benefits, the sweeter it is when you do get the victory.  

Wild card:  Your family.  Your kids can get DEA Chapter 35 education benefits when you get to 100 percent P and T..  My son got his bachelors degree on it.  Further, your spouse can get DIC when you pass from a SC condition or from any conditon if you are 100 percent P and T for over 10 years.  DiC means "about" 1500 or so per month to your spouse.  Your comp will not continue after you die, but the DIC should take care of her.  So, to take care of your family, you really should try to get to 100 percent P and T.  Education for kids, DIC for your wife.  Its a huge deal, not to mention being able to take care of yourself, and not have to ask your kids for money to make ends meet.  Remember, inflation will go much fasster than Cola.  

My advice is to check your health records and apply for any all benefits that you think may be able to be SC, to include an increase, and or tdiu if you are not working.  The sooner you apply, the sooner you can start getting paid.  And the sooner you can start on your "10 year" for Dic, I explained above.  Finally, as your kids get too old, they are no longer eligible for education benefits.  Its age 26, I think is the max age, but that could have changed.  

I think my grand son obtained his father's unused educational benefits.  His father served in two periods of war. One in the marines and one in the navy.  Out of the marines on a medical discharge in the gulf war, I think.  Do not know how that worked.