Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Improving on SC 0% or did I blow the chance

Rate this question

CapnHaddock

Question

I was given service connected 0% for a bunion left foot and 0% for bilateral hammer toes.  After finally getting tired of the pain (and being ignored by VA medical) I went outside (other insurance) and had the bunion and one of the hammer toes repaired.  That surgery failed due the severity of the bunion and two surgeries later I now have a plate with 5 screws holding the big toe immobilized and the toe next to it was shortened to relieve stress on the foot.  The VA is giving me pain meds for the foot and I have not tried to increase the rating on this foot.  I probably should do this, but I am not sure if I blew that chance by having the surgery out in the civilian community outside of the VA.  My question is can I increase this rating now that I have had some repairs done to the foot by someone else than the VA?  The pain is less (but still requires meds on occasion and if I had waited longer the repair may have not even been possible).  I am SC 100% P&T for the last 6 years.

This has all been very helpful because in the back of my mind I have worried about getting independent medical care and then taking it to the VA.  Thank you for this!

CapnHaddock - You would have to have hammertoes of all your toes to receive compensation and a separate 

10 per cent for osteotomy/bunionectomy for your left hallux valgus but you must request a increase  for your

0 percent ratings and you would also qualify for a temp 100% do to surgery for your service connected disability an for the convalescence period after surgery.......

MrPain7 - I am filing on the hammer toes and metatarsal head amputation.  I have hammer toes on all toes both feet and one of them was part of the surgery.   I will probably only get one rated as the feet are already at 30% bilateral for plantar fasciitis.  The VA also broke out both ankles separately at 10% with bone spurs.  I remember reading that one foot is 40% max and above that it will look like pyramiding.  I hobble a lot.  I am working to get all this documented because if the plate fails (30% chance) I will have to have the entire area fused.