Guest unit731

Question

Guest unit731

Ratings:

70% PTSD

30% Irritable Bowel

0% Knee

Total Rating: 80%

About 6 years ago applied for unemployability and was granted compensation of 100%. But still rated at 80%.

Long since stopped working because of disabilities. No other contact with VA since other than twice yearly scheduled visits to VA doctor - for routine physical check-ups.

Last year, I went to DAV and requested to file a claim - and what I thought was 100% Permanent and Total. A claim was filed by the DAV - but I can't remember what the DAV rep. asked for. I think I just signed form to let DAV act as my representative.

Last May, I receive a letter from VA stating that I am Permanent and Total. I thought this meant 100% Permanent and Total, but this does not. I am still rated 80%. The letter from VA did not state any percentage. It just states that I am Permanent and Total. I am still

Now to my questions:

What does this mean? 80% Permanent and Total?

Do I get any more benefits?

Again, I thought Permanent and Total was equal to 100% - but I am surely wrong on this.

I am baffled.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

80% with IU P&T = 100% entitlements including ID , Chapter 35 and anything else that goes along with being 100% disabled by the VA.

Do yourself a favor.....buy some gold and silver! The printing presses are in overdrive.

Ratings:

70% PTSD

30% Irritable Bowel

0% Knee

Total Rating: 80%

About 6 years ago applied for unemployability and was granted compensation of 100%. But still rated at 80%.

Long since stopped working because of disabilities. No other contact with VA since other than twice yearly scheduled visits to VA doctor - for routine physical check-ups.

Last year, I went to DAV and requested to file a claim - and what I thought was 100% Permanent and Total. A claim was filed by the DAV - but I can't remember what the DAV rep. asked for. I think I just signed form to let DAV act as my representative.

Last May, I receive a letter from VA stating that I am Permanent and Total. I thought this meant 100% Permanent and Total, but this does not. I am still rated 80%. The letter from VA did not state any percentage. It just states that I am Permanent and Total. I am still

Now to my questions:

What does this mean? 80% Permanent and Total?

Do I get any more benefits?

Again, I thought Permanent and Total was equal to 100% - but I am surely wrong on this.

I am baffled.

Thanks for looking.

I still haven't received a complete answer to my original question. What Permenant and Total with 80% mean?

And what is the difference between 100% Permenant and Total and 80% Permenant and Total?

you will draw the same amount of money from the VA either way. The permanent and total either way means your dependents are eligible for chapter 35 benefits and your spouse is eligible for free ChampVA health insurance.

Guest unit731

JR Reihs

"80% with IU P&T = 100% entitlements including ID , Chapter 35 and anything else that goes along with being 100% disabled by the VA."

Thanks. The letter from the VA states only P & T with no percentage stated in letter.

On visit to VA hospital, the information form they provide states 80%.

Upon further investigation, the front office states that I am P & T at 80%.

I never heard of this. Is this something new at the VA? Are they trying to avoid some benefit that a 100% person gets? Or do I get the same as a 100%. I know the National Parks provide a free entry for 100%, but I don't know if I get this with my combination.

• HadIt.com Elder

You will get the same as a 100% vet because you are one, only your rating says you are 80%P&T.

You must understand that you cannot aquire the P&T unless you have been given the IU wich brings you to 100%. Today you got paid, are you getting the 100% pay?

Call or go to the RO, and ask them for a letter for a DOD card, if you are P&T you will get one, you can also use that as proof for property taxes, Champ VA, and any benifits your state may have.

even though your rating states 80% you have been given IU by virtue of P&T, wich pays you the extra 20% , for you minds sake you may want to have the VAMC correct to show that you are 80% with IU P&T wich equals the 100% rating.

You also can get free dental care at the VAMC under this rating.

Your award letter should have stated that you were rated at 80% but that IU was granted because you cannot work, and they granted P&T because you will not get better so you are paid at the 100% rate, and with that said you are considered for all things a 100% disabled Vet. :rolleyes:

Do yourself a favor.....buy some gold and silver! The printing presses are in overdrive.