Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Electrical Shock Threapy

Rate this question

Jerry_O

Question

I visited my physc yesterday. She doubled my meds and said she is considering electrical shock threapy. Yet - she indicated that my GAF was 60. I'm 30% for PTSD and filed a claim for an increase due to recent service with Mortuary Affairs.

Now I know that my brain is not quite right but this is not logical to me Mr. Spock.

As always an appreciative veteran of all veterans.

Jerry O

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I visited my physc yesterday. She doubled my meds and said she is considering electrical shock threapy. Yet - she indicated that my GAF was 60. I'm 30% for PTSD and filed a claim for an increase due to recent service with Mortuary Affairs.

Now I know that my brain is not quite right but this is not logical to me Mr. Spock.

As always an appreciative veteran of all veterans.

Jerry O

Jerry,

Doesn't sound logical to me either. Think I'd want a second psyche opinion before I'd be willing to go through shock therapy.

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

Before all you psychiatrists out there start trying to talk someone out of a legitimate medical procedure.....there are times when someone's condition calls for just such a procedure.

It would be a shame if this is the case in this instance and y'all brought your own fears and insecurities into this discussion and kept someone from getting the help that they need.

I speak from experience.

I am bi-polar and was suffering from TERRIBLE depression, suicidal depression, and I was sceduled for just such a procedure when all my friends and family tried to talk me out of it. They kept saying things like "OH NO, I wouldn't have THAT done!" (of course, they also weren't trying to figure out the least messy way of killing themselves at that particular time).

I had the procedure, never even KNEW I had it. They just give you some "really good shit" and in what seems like a couple of minutes you are laying there wondering when the heck they are gonna get it done, and then you notice that everybody is packin up and leavin.........done, finished.

And, I haven't even thought those "thoughts" since then.

It saved my life, my marriage, my love of others (well, there are still a few of my in-laws that I'd like to off, but, I don't even want to do that as badly as I once did).

just my $.02

Thanks Larry - That is one of the reasons she has suggested this treatment. Not so much the anger and rage but the suicidal thoughts, etc.

Thanks again.

• HadIt.com Elder

Shock is used and it is much more refined than it was years ago but it was still treatment of last resort in 1991 when I went to the VA. Because the VA is a teaching hospital if I were the patient I would want to see a treatment plan and a good explanation of why it was needed and how it would benefit me.

I am not a shrink but I am a patient and I don't really have a high regard for the Doc's in MH.

What struck me as strange was doubling your meds and suggesting another therapy at the same time. Maybe I am stupid but doubling medication should tell you something in a few weeks?

On the other hand she may have been saying that she was going to double your meds and if no response that you should consider shock therapy?

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete is correct in saying that you and your doc should conversate adequately concerning your "treatment plan".

And, yes, EST is a mental health procedure that could very well be compared to a surgical procedure in a treatment for a lot of physical ailments, the procedure that is performed when all the medicines for your ailment have been tried and found lacking.

But, it is NOT the procedure as depicted in movies, etc. It is not uncomfortable, at least it was not uncomfortable for me (matter-of-fact, I asked my doc if she had any of that stuff that she gave me before the procedure, so's I could have some to take HOME).

Had a little headache until the next day.....then it was a really nice experience.....kinda like when the sun comes out after a week of cloudy, wet, freezing darkness. Really.

I'd have it done tomorrow if I were to be in the depths of my depression, again.

MOF, I'd be down there waiting for them to open up the office in the morning.

Would I have it done for the "fun of it"....NOPE!

BTW, my wife (a MSN, RN for the last 25 years) says I've not been the same since my shock therapy, either. She says that she does not have to worry about leaving me alone.........