• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Task Force Deadline And

Rate this question

Berta

Question

The deadline for Task Force comments is quickly approaching-

I think April 30th?

and I am almost done with my letter to them-I had to make comments as a widow and claimant that would be appropriate to consider for the new returning disabled veterans.It took some time to do that.

The Fallen Heroes are the main focus of this task force but we were all asked by the VA for input on this and who better knows what these new vets can face in medical care and claims issues than all of us here.

It is how Lessons Learned in Battle actually become lessons learned-

and the Task force is using this approach.

Question- in order to get the Task Force's attention-

I am using a picture of my husband on the letter and a reference to another issue I already discussed with Chairman Craig by mail last year.

I can give Senator Craig the brief status of all that via this Task force letter and then state my comments.

Of course under this picture I will state that the VA killed this combat veteran .

and then refer to the award letter that says same---blah blah blah-to gain their attention- Rod would love it!---and then make my comments as to VA taking some specific positive steps to help the newly returning vets.

This is my question Marines!

I believe that this picture was taken just after Parris Island boot Camp on Easter in 1964. That is Rod and his mom. Maybe not EAster

but I sure feel I should have the year right-

I will probably cut the ribbon part off -it is from a display my daughter made with all of his medals and other pictures too.

I see no insignia on his pocket lapels nor anywhere else.

I think these were the same utilities he wore in Vietnam.

They didnt wear cameophlage in 1964-1965.

They left right after Boot Camp for Vietnam and he only had the Expert Riflemen's badge by then but maybe not by time of this picture.

If I say this is to best of my knowledge 1964-

would that date possibly reflect the uniform he is in and the lack of any ribbons or any insignia at all?

Maybe I should use one instead in his dress blues after Vietnam with all the ribbons on it?

geeez I feel I have to document everything -even a letter to the Task force-but I never write anything I cant back up with evidence and want to give them a date on this picture.Maybe I shouldnt even worry about the date.

Rodpictaskforce.doc

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Berta

I went though boot camp at SD in 1961. The uniform fits the time.

If he shot expert in boot camp he would have had his expert badge.

The uniform is trops, not the green utilities. It is typical of the time.

Gunny

Yep! He was wearing Summer Class A uniform called Tropicals. They were made of 100% wool and were dry clean only. The Barracks cover, long sleeve shirt, and tie together made it the Summer Class A Dress Uniform, never worn in combat situations (except on liberty in bars!!!!). Marines did not ever go directly from Boot Camp to Vietnam, never. After graduation from Boot Camp, they then went directly to the Infantry Training Regiment (ITR) for two to four weeks. If Infantry they also went to BITS (Basic Infantry Training School), then on leave for 20 days and then to Staging Battalion for 3 to four weeks and then on through Okinawa to Vietnam.

If they were assigned a school where their MOS was Amtrak etc., they went home on leave right after ITR and then on to specialized training in their MOS. After completion of MOS training, they then were attached to a unit and subsequently either went by themselves to Staging Battalion if they received orders to go to Vietnam and then went over directly from Staging Battalion, to Okinawa where we stored uniforms, got shots, updated records, etc and then from there directly into Vietnam.

• HadIt.com Elder

And here I thought that was the uniform of the San Francisco Transit Authority (bus drivers). Just kidding!! Trops in the services were tropical worsted(sp). Best uniform ever made! Damned if the ladies didn't like it! At least "we" thought so. lol jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

Thank you all so much-

yeah I was incorrect-Rocky- he joined in 1964 but went to Vietnam in 1965-I oulled out his SRB.

But to Okinawa first-(Kadena Air BAse - the SRB shows he was there on the 16th of 10th Oct 1965 and left on 16 Nov for for Danang RVN)and he did not have the Expert Rifle Badge yet in this picture.

You helped me to understand exactly what the SRB stuff means.

I guess I was mixed up because Rod remembered his DI- (vividly of course)

and as I recall-he said while they were still in Boot Camp (1964 for him)that the DI said they were all going to go to Vietnam.

Not one of them knew what the heck or where Vietnam was.

Although Ops Starlight and Rolling Thunder had not begun in 1964- of course the Mil had already begun the battle plans.

This is funny-you Marines can relate- where I worked at the vet center-1980s) almost every vet was in cameos and had the Nam caps and all the doo dads of the time-( the patches for POW MIA etc)

Rod bought his first Cameo jacket at a Army surplus store in town to wear at the vet center because he felt so out of place at the vet center in regular clothes.Then he put on the VVA patch first and within a few years (I still have his cameo jacket)

it was covered with stuff-POW vigil patches, DAV stuff ---

it is beautiful.

WHen we moved to NY I was shocked by the many men and women in cameos

I saw during that first fall-in the restaurants and K Mart -all over the place.I thought it was because this is a vets community and we are 20 minutes from a VAMC.

Then it hit me (being a civilian who had moved from a big city)

they were HUNTERS! some were or werent vets!

Thank you all-

In the letter I am sending to the Task Force-

there are 3 ways I mentioned in which these new vets can be helped throught the VA process-

because -they might be getting all they need now regarding care and claims help- but what about when their disabilies increase further down the road and they are no longer Fallen Heroes but treated like many many of you have been since Nam.

By the way I consider all disabled vets Fallen Heroes and still wish that Nam vets had been treated with the attention and respect that these new vets are getting.