Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va's Stand On Plavix!

Rate this topic

Has anyone had a similar experience with the VA and the use of Plavix

I had my heart attack and 2 stents back in Jan 2006. I was told to take Plavix and aspirin to help prevent another heart attack. The VA will only pay for Plavix for 1 year. My Cardiologist wants me to stay on this drug indefinately, at least until a new study says to stop taking it after 1 year. One of the reasons that the VA will only pay for 1 year is that Plavix is very expensive. The cheapest is Sam's club - $127 for 30 days. I can't afford this seeing as the VA denied my claim for my SC heart condition. They are still rating me at 0 SC.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Plavix and the VA? Does anyone know where I can get this drug a lot cheaper than $127. I am not sure about ordering it on line as I have heard that some of these companies are not too honest.

Thanks in advance - Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

You might do a google search on the internet under the drug makers name and see if you can get the company to give you the drug based on need and income. They do this sometimes but most people don't ask or know about it. Try going to the patient advocate at the VA and explain the situation.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your VA Doc is willing to go to the mat with you you should be able to keep it. I was told I would have to take Plavix the rest of my life.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Pete53

I don't think my VA doc will be any help to me. He did not speak English very well. He had to go and get the nurse practitioner to explain to me the VA policy and to extend my Plavix for 6 months.

Pete53, you said your doctor told you that you would have to take Plavix the rest of your life. Are you getting Plavix from the VA and are they giving it to you for more than 12 months?

I think I read on a previous post that you have CAD with depression and anxiety. The same as me. The VA denied my claim for my SC heart condition. I have filed a NOD for depression , anxiety, and PTSD as secondary to my SC heart condition. Not sure how the VA will handle that. I was very dissapointed when the VA regected my claim. I wanted to quit but my VSO and VA psychiatrist talked me into it. I am just tired of explaining it every time to someone new. Having to go over it again and again.

Pete53, any information you can provide me will be very helpful. Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

I have been on Plavix for over a year and a half from VA and doctor says will also be on for rest of life. Have not had a problem getting,just had my heart doc write note to VA primary doc.

• HadIt.com Elder

the VA I go to told me the same thing they would not let my primary care doc renew the prescription he also said I should be on it for the rest of my life, I have only one vessel feeding my heart at this point and I am 100% P&T he told me to get my cardilogist to rewrite the prescription and she did she feels it is one of the meds keeping my blood flowing you have to have a doc that will stand up for you I would contact the patient rep then your congressman if they won't give you the meds

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."