Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va's Stand On Plavix!

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Brian:

I had angioplasty on Sep 13, 2006 and one artery was blocked 90% and had a stent put in. For some reason it was one of the old kind of stents that did not have medicine it would release. My Cardiac Doc started me on plavix the day of my operation. It was done using Medicare HMO outside the VA. I took the prescription to my primary Doc and she wrote it for me at VA. I was unaware of the 12 month rule at VA but plan to check up on it. I have a friend who had stents put in his legs and he has been on plavix at the VA for 18 months and just had it renewed for another 6 months.

Brian have you seen a cardiologist at the VA? If not maybe they are the ones who need to write the script. I don't know about you but I think that you should fight this and I would not feel the least bit comfortable having to rely on some Moke who does not speak English when I had a Heart Condition.

If I can I will try to help you with your claim. Please don't give up.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian:

I had angioplasty on Sep 13, 2006 and one artery was blocked 90% and had a stent put in. For some reason it was one of the old kind of stents that did not have medicine it would release. My Cardiac Doc started me on plavix the day of my operation. It was done using Medicare HMO outside the VA. I took the prescription to my primary Doc and she wrote it for me at VA. I was unaware of the 12 month rule at VA but plan to check up on it. I have a friend who had stents put in his legs and he has been on plavix at the VA for 18 months and just had it renewed for another 6 months.

Brian have you seen a cardiologist at the VA? If not maybe they are the ones who need to write the script. I don't know about you but I think that you should fight this and I would not feel the least bit comfortable having to rely on some Moke who does not speak English when I had a Heart Condition.

If I can I will try to help you with your claim. Please don't give up.

Pete

Pete- I also had angioplasty on Jan 26, 2006. I had 2 stents and have been taking Plavix with aspirin. I do not qualify for Medicare until July 2008. I don't have prescription insurance so will have to rely on the VA. They did renew for an additional 6 months. I am not comfortable dealing with the VA cardiologist, but I have to play their rules or I will get nothing.

I am not going to give up on my claim with the VA. I have been dealing with this, on and off for over 40 years. It gets real frustrating and disapointing at times and sometimes I feel like I'm not getting anywhere and that I am just wasting my time. I have a lot of people that are encouraging me to keep fighting. I am also really happy with this forum and the people on it like you. It is very comforting to know that I am not the only person that is having this problem with the VA, that there are a lot of people that are in the same boat as me and that they can come to this forum for advice.

Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

I have been on Plavix for over a year and a half from VA and doctor says will also be on for rest of life. Have not had a problem getting,just had my heart doc write note to VA primary doc.

old romad - I had my private cardiologist write a note to my VA doc but they said they don't care what my doc says. They said the VA policy is that they will only pay for Plavix for 1 year. I went to see the va cardiologist in Reno and they said they will extend my prescription for 6 months and after that they won't pay for any more. My cardiologist also said that I will probably be on Plavix for the rest of my life. Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

If your VA Doc is willing to go to the mat with you you should be able to keep it. I was told I would have to take Plavix the rest of my life.

me too

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

• HadIt.com Elder

Brian:

A few months ago I was having problems with my meds arriving timely. I went to see the Head Pharmacist and I told him that if I did not get my Plavix on time that I had already filled out the paperwork so that my wife could sue the VA and I was requesting that he would be named in the law suit.

It is like the gate flew open and I have gotten everything more timely. When I did this I was polite and respectful and I told him that the VA had to get better at prescriptions by mail.

After seeing posts here from other Vets I am pretty sure that the VA knows what will happen if we do not get plavix after stents and I am sharing my experience only I am no expert on VA Pharmacy but I have been dealing with them for almost 16 years.

You have got to hang in there and keep fighting. None of us have to tolerate bad Medicine we earned much better.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Gee I just love my Johnson and Johnson Cypher coated stent and the requirement that I take plavix for the rest of my life :D

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.