Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suicide

Rate this question

betrayed

Question

If your 100 P&T and 70% is for depression would suicide be service connected death? What benefits would a spouse receive?

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA tries to say that suicide is an intentional unlawful act and tries not to pay. The bottom libe is don't count on spouse getting benefits unless you have 19 years of 100%.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Betrayed this as with all disability claims would depend on the medical evidence. If the death report read suicide due to depression coupled with a statement from you treating pysc saying that in the last days you seemed more depressed and displayed suicidal tendices and then he/she added the ole at least as likely as not then I think it would be a service connected death JMHO - please don't take my opinion as advise and test the system ole boy. You scare the hell out of me by just asking such a question. Are you ok my buddy?????

This is the official VA take on the issue:

3.302 Service connection for mental unsoundness in suicide.

(a) General. (1) In order for suicide to constitute willful misconduct, the act of self-destruction must be intentional.

(2) A person of unsound mind is incapable of forming an intent (mens rea, or guilty mind, which is an essential element of crime or willful misconduct).

(3) It is a constant requirement for favorable action that the precipitating mental unsoundness be service connected.

(:D Evidence of mental condition. (1) Whether a person, at the time of suicide, was so unsound mentally that he or she did not realize the consequence of such an act, or was unable to resist such impulse is a question to be determined in each individual case, based on all available lay and medical evidence pertaining to his or her mental condition at the time of suicide.

(2) The act of suicide or a bona fide attempt is considered to be evidence of mental unsoundness. Therefore, where no reasonable adequate motive for suicide is shown by the evidence, the act will be considered to have resulted from mental unsoundness.

(3) A reasonable adequate motive for suicide may be established by affirmative evidence showing circumstances which could lead a rational person to self-destruction.

© Evaluation of evidence. (1) Affirmative evidence is necessary to justify reversal of service department findings of mental unsoundness where Department of Veterans Affairs criteria do not otherwise warrant contrary findings.

(2) In all instances any reasonable doubt should be resolved favorably to support a finding of service connection (see §3.102).

You scare the hell out of me by just asking such a question. Are you ok my buddy?????

Nope I'm not ok, thank you for asking. Started having hallucinations. Went to the doctor at the VAMC no beds in the hotel, same old shit. Pretty much made my mind up. My only concern is my wife being taken care of. If you never hear from me again you can assume what has happened. I am updating http://www.betrayedveteran.com/mystory.html right now so there is a public record. Later boys and girls.

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

• HadIt.com Elder

Betrayed:

You feel bad and so you are going to basically screw your wife and let the VA win? That does not make sense to me.

Please call me at 214 691 0530 and talk about it.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

If not me ask for help from a professional not associated with VA. Please wait before you do anything harmful.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Betrayed:

Please do not give in to the urge to end it all. Even if your wife did manage to win a claim with VA, she would still have to live with the conseqences, feelings of guilt, etc. I could go on & on but will leave at that.

Liz