Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Doctor Said Absolutely Not

Rate this question

Sherry

Question

I went to my appt on Monday and asked my doctor if she would put in for a scooter due to my sc pain issues, including the tarsal tunnel and plantar fascitis in my feet. She said absolutely not. I am young almost 29, but in substantial pain that makes me feel so terrible. I was really upset at her reaction to my request. I told her it would give me more independence to do fun things with my kids. There again she repeated the same statement and then added that once I got in one of the scooters, I would never get out. Of course that's an absurd statement in my opinion. She is a good doctor overall and I am pleased with her care more or less. But feel I am being discriminated against because of my age. I would like some opinions on if she has a valid point or should I go above her? Don't wanna piss any one off though. Or should I just leave it be and request one when I get older? I think sixthscents told me before that it goes before a board; not the doctor that gets to decide. Anyways I am frustrated. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know that my statement may sound cruel to you, but I live without balance everyday of my life. Life is very difficult for me. I do get tired of falling into friends homes and not being able to enjoy the things that I used to do.

My doctor has always told me if I give up and do not keep those legs moving that I will loose them.

For 13 years I have took his advice and have kept those legs moving.

If at all possible, please try to do the same, for I sincerely do believe that your doctor is watching out for your well being.

Always,

Josephine

Well, I am commenting because the VA recently issued me a scooter and lift etc.

I went to see my primary care doc, who is familiar with my case and told het that I was fine for short distances, but for long I needed a scooter. I was ok, just walking a while with my braces and crutches, but long distance, like an hour at wal-mart etc. just wasnt doable anymore. She was all about putting me in for one.

I then went thru the normal eval at the ortho dept at VAMC. Since I know all those poeple, it was just a matter of picking the color... and I asked that they try to expedite it since I was going to DisneyWorld in 3 weeks.

The day before we were due to leave, the guy called and asked me to bring in my car, 2 1/2 hrs later I drove off with the scooter and attached lift. Its a big scooter, 4 whell, so it wont fit in trunk and goes on an exterior lift, but it works like a champ... very nice.

The funny thing was the ortho peopel kinda wanted me to take a wheelchair that climbed steps... and with my recent problems I gotta wonder if they knew more than me. I mean they will still provide the chair, I called today, so if I need it its not a big deal, but... with all that has happened in the last 2 weeks I just gotta wonder since all these people are SO familiar with my case, over the past 5 years I have gotten to know them really welll, well I just wonder ya know?

I am a BIG advocate of staying away from wheel chairs and scooters unless the situation really dictates for one... so I havent used my scotter since, but after today at Wal-Mart you better believe its going with me every time I go again.

Heck I have bought all kinds of exercise equipment just to try and maintain some muscle and ability....big dollar items. I am putting in an in-ground pool/indoor since thats what rehab reccomends.(heated to slightly below body temo... and that is freaking expensive).. so i am serious about maintaining my ability, but there is a common sense point, and maybe thats what you need to express to your doctor...

Anyway... I think it kinda boils down to your relationship with your PCM, and since I am at a remote clinic I have had this one for a long bit now... compared to changing them like socks at the VAMC.

Bob Smith

Edited by sixthscents

Pain is hell, I had my first knee replacement and then 5wks later heart surgery, insurance would not pay for a scooter so we went and bought a second hand scooter, mind you that I was heavy around 200 at that time a year after my first replacement I had my other knee done, I could not walk very far and for six years used the scooter I gained another 100 pounds and then had baratric surgery lost 150 pounds and I am now giving up my scooter for I do not need it anymore. So when the doctor tells you it is for your own good and to keep the legs moving, yes they are right but if a person can not walk or get around like myself you get worse before you can get better, for myself it was putting all the weight on and I could not do anything, I hated to go to a store. the walking was just killing me. so in this asspect the scooter was my survival but I don't need it any more and I would just a soon as walk, so depending on how bad you really are I would push the issue at least until you get feeling better. Just my 2cents

JohnM's Wife Dianne

• HadIt.com Elder

Sherry,

This really is a two sided coin. I agree that mobility could make life more enjoyable. It could increase your activity levels which would be good all around. I started playing golf 4 months ago. I would never be able to walk a golf course. However, with a cart I now get more exercise that I enjoy than in the last 15 years. I have to walk up and down short hills just to get to the tee's and greens. My cardio is in way better shape now. I have lost 15 pounds because I am no where near a refrigerator when on a golf course. In your case it could be going anywhere that you would enjoy that otherwise you would not go because of mobility problems.

It does sound to me like your doctor has decided that you will not be able to positively control your use of the scooter. Her statement sounds rather judgemental. I do not know why she made such a judgement.

Maybe there is an weight issue or previous problems controling medication. If it is not obvious to you why the doctor determined you would not contorl the use of the scooter then I would confront her on it and if you feel you can control the use then go for it. Go around her or change doctors.

If there is an issue such as weight, maybe working out a deal to show her you are motivated for overall improvement and ask her to give you a weight loss goal that if you reached it then still felt like you needed the scotter then you would get it. If you have had problems with prior meds then I am at a loss right now as to what to say as for showing self improvement that would get her to change her mind.

The botttom line is that there is either an valid reason your doctor feels you will not control the use of the scooter based on your specific history or the doctor is shooting from the hips and has a rather negative outlook on her patients in general and you have been lumped into a prejudicial category she has about her patients.

I have had doctors try to force me to take cholesterol meds and BP meds based on the first appointment that showed a problem. I am sure they did this becuse when they make deals with their patients to delay taking the meds the patient usually fails to control the problems. My primary doctor told me I was the only patient he had in three years at a VA hospital who lost weight becuse they wanted to. I refused the meds and lost 25 pounds and dropped my total cholesterol to 97 in three months. If you feel you can control the use of the scooter take a stand. All the doctor or anybody here can do is guess about the outcome as to whether or not a scooter will be a positive or negative in the long run.

I think a scooter at your age would be a mistake. You will live longer for your kids ! Some of the major stores here have scooters avilable for use by the elderly and disabled. You have to ask though ! Follow your doc's advice , always ! You can work through the pain and it will eventually go away.