Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Give Me Some Insight?

Rate this question

john6012

Question

I just came home from seeing my psychologist. I gave him the PTSD info someone suggested along with copies of letters from people I knew in the militaryI took in on my first visit. He reviewed it and said, it will entail an 8 hour testing procedure and in his experience, only 5-10% of cases were approved at the VA for compensation. I am trying to be positive about this but he didn't sound positive although he said my depression was from moderate to severe. He said I might check out some VA groups such as DAV or go to some PTSD groups at the VA. I wonder if:

(1) I should go ahead with him and take the tests at his office or

(2) Find out from him what kind of tests I need and ask for them from the MHC at the VA or,

(3) Just go to the VA MHC Clinic and ask for counselling and appropriate testing?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I dont see how a shrink would possibly know how many PTSD claims are approved or not.

You need :

1. medical diagnopsis of current disability of PTSD,depression or anxiety-

2. Inservice event that could cause the PTSD,depression or anxiety

3. Proof of the link (nexus) that caused your inservice PTSD or depression or anxiety

PTSD is not the same thing as depression-

If these are eye witness accounts of stressors that you have, they might be needed for your claim unless you have combat awards like the PH on your DD 214.

The shrink might just be letting you know however that the VA is a battleground -not for all but for many.

I think your shrink is right too- those tests could make a proper diagnosis of your condition-and apparently he wants to make sure of the diagnosis.

My husband had about 7 tsts from the VA PTSD shrink- he already proved his stressors etc-and was 30% PTSD SC but had a stroke and these tests separated stroke residuals from the PTSD.

In the long run- the VA first ignored these test results but then they awarded him 100% SC PTSD primarily on this basis because these tests revealed his PTSD was catastrophic.

He also got SSA for PTSD and I think these tests helped there too.

He took them over 2 day period,MMPI, Wechsler, Hand ,Shipley Institute, a few more too.

There is obviously something your doctor wants to be sure about and these tests will help your claim if you have all of the above or have certain combat awards denoting stressors.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

How in the world can he say something like that. You have a good solid claim and I can say that you will win. It may take some Patience and some grinding but you can win and you deserve to win.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Tbanks to both of you! I am going to forge ahead and hopefully win this one. I'm not trying to scam or commit fraud, only let the truth prevail. I'll take your advice and run! I have all that Berta said. God Bless!

There is a form I need to take to the psychologist, do any of you know the VA fom number? Mountain Tyme sent me a "form" but I can't type all of it without repeated mistakes. If you could tell me the form number, I'll go to the VA MHC and ask for the form--that is if they'll give it to me. Thanks

It is hard to know what form you mean.

Do you have a service officer or vet rep helping you? That is why the doctor suggested the DAV- he meant to get a service officer's help on your claim.

Have you filled out the 21-526 form yet?

This is the initial step in filing a VA compensation claim.

Do you have copies of your medical records and also copies of your SMRs?

Also it seemed the doc was suggesting either the vet center or one of the PTSD groups maybe at this VAMC?

It appears that this doctor certainly realises that VA loves paper-and they want documentation.

Are you receiving meds for PTSD or any counseling at all for it?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.