Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Give Me Some Insight?

Rate this question

john6012

Question

I just came home from seeing my psychologist. I gave him the PTSD info someone suggested along with copies of letters from people I knew in the militaryI took in on my first visit. He reviewed it and said, it will entail an 8 hour testing procedure and in his experience, only 5-10% of cases were approved at the VA for compensation. I am trying to be positive about this but he didn't sound positive although he said my depression was from moderate to severe. He said I might check out some VA groups such as DAV or go to some PTSD groups at the VA. I wonder if:

(1) I should go ahead with him and take the tests at his office or

(2) Find out from him what kind of tests I need and ask for them from the MHC at the VA or,

(3) Just go to the VA MHC Clinic and ask for counselling and appropriate testing?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

John

I am a USAF veteran,I served with the 3rd security police SQ at Bien Hoa Airforce base in vietnam from August 1966 to April 1968 and i am also 100% service connected for PTSD.When i filed claim i had Fifteen In-service stressor,but you don't have to have but one if you can prove it and its the reason you have ptsd and you been diagnose with it.I don't know what kind of psychologist you went to i never heard of that kind of test before that take eight hours to take.There is a ptsd questonaire,called the Mississippi scale that take about fifteen minutes to fill out if you as slow as i am.If you havn't been diagnose with ptsd,get you a private psychologist and tell him the problem you are having,but it got to be from your in-service stressor unless you have a purple heart,cib or some other medal you received to prove you was in combat.It will take about two session before he/she give you a diagnosis.Also go to the va and try to get some counseling.Whenever you have C&P give a copy to the va examiner.I hope this helps

mobie

Edited by mobie16r

I was in the USAF and have the VN medal with campaign stars but that's it. It doesn't mean anything as yoiu well know. I do not have a service officer, I went to the OKC VAMC and the DAV rep position was vacant and they told me that a rep comes down from Tulsa on (I think) 1st and 3rd Thursday, So, I fired off a letter to RO and they sent me a letter and I checked "more info to follow" and sent it back. They then sent me a letter stating that they were deciding my case but due to the workload...etc.etc. I've been keeping copies of all data and will in fact obtain a copy of my diagnosis from the psychologist. I don't know if I should go to the VA and ask for counselling at the same time I'm receiving counselling from the civilian psy??? One reason i sought civilian counselling is that the VA psychiatrist did not offer counselling (and of course, I didn't ask) so I am on VA meds and then I see a another MD who offered counselling and reduced my meds that the VA gave me so that if I do go back to the VA they'll mad as h-e double hockey stick more than likely. I sent the ltr to RO on 22 Jan 07 requesting that my files be reopened to include depression. I've sent letter to the RO authorizing them to request copies of my MR's. I am the jerk that never sought tx while in the AF and now I have to prove my condition. I have a letter from an MD I knew in the AF and two letters from NCO's that confirm that I had a mental problem. So I am hoping I have the resonable doubt in my favor. Main thing is to get well. This depression/PTSD is not a laughing matter and I feel sorry for those that have the problem. Thanks for your info and recommendations. This is where I stand at the moment and if you have any suggestions, please send them on. My brother wanted to drive a jeep (I found out on the web) and the guy he replaced put an entry on the virtual wall that "he didn't have to do it, and that he was supposed to be the driver-it wasn't worth his life" I din't weep/cry then and then my wife died and then my mother died and I never wept. I can't for some reson. I told this to the psy guy.....

• HadIt.com Elder

John:

Good grief. You probably need a Service Officer and they have more than the DAV at the VA Hospital you go to. Also the Service Organizations probably can help.

To get PTSD you have to show a stressor related to your military service you need to show treatment and a current diagnosis.Since you accept and are being treated for a mental problem you need to find out exactly what your diagnosis is.

Its possible if you get a good C&P you can make it through but my suspicion is that you are going to need someone who will back you up with a solid Medical Opinion.

I know that your wife is helping you but I think that it is very important that you get a Service Officer who can check into what is going on with your claim.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

"I was in the USAF and have the VN medal with campaign stars but that's it. It doesn't mean anything as yoiu well know" -- john6012

It sure DOES mean something!

At the very least, it means that you could have gone to Canada like the "conscientious objectors" did...but you didn't.

:rolleyes:

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

John

what airbase in vietnam you was station at?

what sq. was you in?

what years did you serve in vietnam?

mobie16r

I suggest that you get your SMRs yourself-

just go to the NARA web site and you can request thhem on line.

"I have a letter from an MD I knew in the AF and two letters from NCO's that confirm that I had a mental problem."

I don't think the VA will accept letters from 2 NSOs as a diagnosis.Maybe they will accept the letters as eyewitness account of a mental problem.

The letter from the doctor- did he formally diagnose and treat you inservice and is this noted in your SMRs?

Did he give in the letter (and the NC0s too) their full contact information if VA needs to contact them?

Did he state the potential cause inservice of your problems?

This is what the VA will also need proof of- what happened , when and where,

that caused you mental problems in service.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.