• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bstman

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • I'm interested in filling a gulf war illness claim , my question is do you think it worthwhile, I have the symptoms that are required for the claim , but some of the fall into my ptsd symptoms which I all ready receive compensation for .   if I file gwi , will they try to reduce my ptsd rating.  all I read is so many gulf war claims are denied . I don't want to fill and have it denied and have them turn around and start messing with my ptsd claim . Any thoughts?  
    • My opinion Any new evidence will help you with a NOD. Mine was just a Voc Expert who testifies in VA, SSDI and Railroad Benefits Courts. And even though it sounds silly and anti-progress, i think at this point in time with the games the VA is playing with fast rejections and lowballs have FILLED the frikin Appeals Dockets, we should maybe hold back just ONE bit of evidence, maybe because we kind of already know lowballing is SoP for the bastiches, just have that one bit of evidence ready for your NOD. Once again, just a opinion, and a path i'm taking on my next claim.
    • I thought the same. To be honest I get strong anxiety disgust when I go to the va. Lost trust with the providers there. So part a is free correct? Even if I only have 8 years of solid work and on and off.  As far as part b they are saying that I can lower my rate by signing a earlier effective date my alleged onset date. Which would be a difference of 104.90 starting date June 2011 in which I have to pay an additional 6,517.30. I currently have no medical bills pending throughout that period.  The other one is August 2016 with a premium of 121.80 a month. However, What I don't understand is on the bottom they want to charge me 243.60 due through December 2016. Is that two year enrollment plan?
    • @broncovet @john999 thanks for the feedback, the Peter Principle is exactly what I'm worried about. Since I am SC for PTSD already and filing for an increase, I was concerned that they wouldn't acknowledge any of my treatment records as evidence for increase since the CRNP made diagnosis of MDD on almost every treatment note over the past year. I think he just looks at the thing that's most obvious with me, writes a prescription, and sends me on my way. Maybe he's uncomfortable with the MST part but he has never asked me anything about it, my stressors, etc. When I mentioned my nightmares he didn't ask anything about the nature of them, just prescribed me prazosin. When I mentioned my anxiety and social avoidance, he again didn't ask me anything about it, but he prescribed me hydroxyzine. Aside from the depression, I have all these meds treating me for various PTSD symptoms but that MDD stays right there as my primary dx, and that's what I'm worried about. I'm very afraid they will reject my claim or maybe even reduce my PTSD as not having a current diagnosis and say the depression isn't SC. I guess I just wait and prepare myself.
    • From my experience yes. My initial claim took two years and my current claim,  one increase and one new, is currently at prep for notification and was filed in May. I'm sure this varies greatly by a number of factors. 

lugnut

What Do Gaf Numbers Mean?

12 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me what the GAF numbers mean? I have the following diagnosis:

Axis I= MDD, recurrent

Panic disorder

AxisII= Defered

Axis III= Chronic back pain

cervical DDD

Lumber DDD

Neck Pain

COPD

HTN

Tinnitus

Hyperlipidemia

Axis IV= Ineffective coping skils

History of Relational problems

Limited social skills

Axis V= GAF+60

I know all that is listed in Axis III, but not the rest. All help will be appreciated. I have just recently filed claim for my back, tinnitus, neck, and depression.

You have to look at the GAF in context of overall picture of emotional/mental functioning. A GAF of 60 usually means a moderate level of functioning. That means a rating of about 30% if it is for SC condition. This is not hard and fast rule. If you have severe panic or major depression a GAF of 60 is not appropriate. If you don't leave the house due to panic disorder then your GAF is way out of line. Do you have a private shrink. I trust the VA not at all.

GAF is short for Global Assessment Function. Its pretty much an opinion of how you fit into your world and can you function but it is an opinion.

To the VA 60+ is not going to do much as far as a rating maybe 0% to 30%.

We would have a better idea if you would tell us how you are doing. Can you work? Can you hold a job if you do work? How do you get along with friends and families?

What do you think should be your rating?

On second though anyone with panic disorder and a 60+ GAF is not being honest with their Doc or the Doc who did the Assessment is full of beans.

I think that you got a bad C&P

One bad panic attack and you know the meaning of fear and disability. When they hit you out of the blue more than once a day you probably should be 100%. It puts you in a permanent crouch waiting for the next attack.