VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Good News I Guess

Rate this topic

Omg-Sue

OMG-Sue said:

"was thinking Medicare with ChampVa would pay everything"

as long as you have Part A and Part B Medicare ,in my case ,between the two of them, they have paid everything so far.

I do pay an annual co pay when I get my meds and I think it is 50 dollars.

The CHAMPVA man who was on some of our SVR shows told me to send in receipts for all of my med co pays as they will refund those co pays after the annual deduction.

It only took my pharmacist a few minutes to give me a full printout of my meds and co pays to send to CHAMPVA for refund.

The CHAMPVA booklet is full of good info on what they pay and any limits to coverage.Also you will get a periodic CHAMPVA magazine that also is full of excellent info.

You have to formally apply for CHAMPVA and I think that can be done on line at the CHAMPVA web site.

It is a fabulous benefit.

I believe it also can be retro-depending on the CHAMPVA entitlement date but not sure of that.

The CHAMPVA man, Glenn, in the SVR show archives -I believe even gave out his work phone number for any questions.

Yes, it's retro --- back to the date of the Veteran's effective date at 100% P&T. I'm in the process of photocopying 5 years worth of my rx and medical bills as ChampVA will reimburse us for any out of pocket co-pays, deductibles, etc we paid.

The hardest part was remembering some of the doctors I'd seen 5 years ago ! Called our insurance company and they sent me a print out as you have to send in an itemized statement

to ChampVA for the medical. With the insurance printout of the Explanations of Benefits (EOB's) I was able to recall a few docs I'd missed. For most I have already called them and asked for an itemized statement and they have all been really helpful. A printout of the rx from the pharmacy is sufficient so long as it has what ChampVA wants .... NDC#, prescriber, quantity, etc. It's in the ChampVA packet they

send out to you after you file for it. ChampVA has been great to work with .... this was a surprise benefit (the 5 yrs reimbursement part) and well worth it. ChampVA did suggest sending in the rx and the medical statements separately as they are both processed by different departments.

Edited by VetsLady

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

A VA Fiduciary appointment covers more than Retro pay.

Once the paper makes it to the bank, expect to find that the you no longer have access to anything in the direct deposit account.

The entire amount may get transferred without prior notice to the fiduciary's account, and who knows where it might be.

Waco is notorious for it's fiduciary account practices.

Did you contact a lawyer qualified to deal with the VA?

Did they give you advice on how to deal with the situation now?

Have you filed a NOD? Time is flying!

I stayed up late to check the bank & glad I did! K's direct deposit was for the 100% amount. All the fuss about fiduciaries is about the RETRO money only. Nobody has called, written, or answered and questions. Maybe it's like Berta said they should trash this program anyway. It's a broken program.

I cannot start to list the Hadit friends here who have helped us thru it all (so many). Not only good advice, legal information, but you all kept us from 'losing it' while waiting these 10 months for a decision. I know Sidney is going thru this too and wish the best for him. At first they said all K's money would be seized. Now how the heck am I going to pay bills? But you guys kept us cool and some of it turned out to be O.K.

Now we will stay with you for the rest of the story, and your stories.

Oh Chuck, this nightmare is never going to stop, will it? K has requested myself as fiduciary (as suggested by Mo DAV SO). However, in k's file is a letter (also suggested by another DAV SO, Waco) from my civilian PCP to whom it may concern: Sue, K's wife, has been dx'd with beginning Alzheimers. In theory that was supposed to hurry up their decision. Didnt work. We live in Waco now.

My point is this: a Vet with paranoid schizophrenia & wife with Alzheimers. No way they will let me do this. Now my daughter has a responsible position at a Waco Hospital and we could ask for them to appt her? Is that just a letter or form?

About the lawyer, he is with Blinded Veterans Assn & he is in Denver. I asked him about a NOD & he said to wait till they actually appoint someone. By your advice, we will be in deep credit doo-doo if I wait. Ok,so I will get going with NOD. Thanks Chuck & everyone else can chime in here; we need all the help we can get.

Oh yes, do I move his money to my account? or mattress?

We received advice today that we should just pay the bills as usual and be responsible as usual; file NOD and wait. And not to 'borrow trouble' as Gran used to say. Everything legal and honest. Sounds good to me.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use