VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Find Unit Records?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a veteran go about finding his in-service records from Vietnam that showed what he did, for instance he did not do his MOS but was assign to another type job, how would he prove this?

And was still with this same unit, Would those records show what he did ? or keep him at his MOS Although that's not what he was assign to.

Would he contact St Louis NRSP and see what the records show/? were trying to find out how to prove what he did in Vietnam.

He has old record of in-country travel orders that had to be renewed every 60 days & Sign off by his CO

This was his new assignment Recovery of US Disable Vehicle's from the field/ mechanical failure or demolished from acts of war.

Thanks in Advance

....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Here is the USArmy Special Ops command page:
http://www.military.com/special-operations/army-special-forces.html

He was probably under a sub force command:
"USASOC's major subordinate commands include the U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne) and the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, both located at Fort Bragg , N.C. Its major subordinate units include the 75th Ranger Regiment at Fort Benning , Ga. , the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) at Fort Campbell , Ky. , the 4th Psychological Operations Group (Airborne), the 95th Civil Affairs Brigade (Airborne) and the Sustainment Brigade (Special Operations) (Airborne), all at Fort Bragg, N.C."

Source: above link

There is a unit history here too that could help.:

http://www.military.com/Registration/Army

I am a civilian and cannot register to use it.

He could write to the specific command if he needs to verify a stressor for direction on getting any morning reports etc, if needed, but also maybe he should try first, JSRRC,

)Joint Service Records Research Center)

He shouldgive them as many details as possivble as to his MOS and why he was also Army Special Ops.

Also dates of any stressors and their whereabouts.

"He has old record of in-country travel orders that had to be renewed every 60 days & Sign off by his CO "

He could enclose a copy of that because it might help JSRRC.

Was he US Army 5th Special Forces Group Sea Branch Vietnam

Ws he in support of LRRP units?

Was he in a 'reflagged' Ranger Regiment in Vietnam? That would be Company "A" V Corps Rangers, Fort Hood, Texas

When exactly did he serve in Vietnam? And where ?

I have extensive history of Vietnam as I did extensive thesis work for my degree at AMU a few years ago, involving Lessons Learned from Vietnam, and Battlefield Command, etc etc, and lots of other intense studies of the war.

What exactly does his DD214 say as to his decorations,. awards, and MOS?

Did he ever file a claim with VA in the past?

Lots of questions here...I know.. but I also had experience with Special Ops claimants too, that could never prove at all how they were involved with Special Ops.Special forces Command.

But they were unwilling to contact Command and JSRRC themselves or even try to obtain their 201 file from the Military.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'll sure check this out,

Thank you Ms berta

.........................Buck

Here are some Special Forces camps that were in Vietnam:

http://www.history.army.mil/books/vietnam/90-23/90-23ac.htm

Long Bihn was oftern called Bihn Long on Maps, docs, etc.

It is part of Bien Hoa, and about 30 clicks from Saigon ( nopw Ho Chi Minh City) west of the Dong Nai River.

It has always amazed me to pull out a War map I have of Vietnam (I posted it here but maybe on the older hadit board in 2005, and it sure helped some vets I know, pin point not only where they were in country but also the actual Vietnamese spelling of where they were.

My daughter was a Vietnamese linguist for the Mil and she helped me with pronouncations that the Americans changed a little.... like dinky daw

and some places on maps like Hoi Ann are pronounced completely different than what we think, by the Vietnamese.

I tried to attach a map of Long Bien area

dont know if it worked

If not many maps of Vietnam are on the internet

Long Bihn, Map.rtf

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I got it to open.

Yes Saigon is now called Ho Chi Minh city, All the bases are now gone and was given back to the Vietnamese not sure if the North got them or who? but Long Bien is now rebuilt & converted over to a shopping center, from what I read

if you google it now its only from the past days of Vietnam when the troops were there, present day No US Bases are in VietNam

Yes I remember Saigon and Bien Hoa, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Bencat, Long THANH, That Area of Nam Don't think I'll ever forget.

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Ms berta this helped a lot, I think he was in the 9th infantry.

its a good start.