VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

my aching feet

Rate this question

iceturkee

Question

when i first enlisted in the army in 1974, my entrance physical indicated i had no physical problems with my feet. when i got to my permanent duty station, there was a requirement that women wear heels with their uniforms. i did but shortly thereafter, i fell down two flights of stairs (broken at the first landing) and injured my back. i had caught the rung of my heel on a step and tumbled.

shortly, after, starting to experience pain in my feet, i went to sick call. the doc looked at my feet and indicated i had several problems, the worst being very high arches. i was given inserts for my shoes and issued a permanent profile that i wear only low quarters with the inserts. this is in my army medical record.

fast forward to the present, my feet are worse, i have hammertoes, arthritis and still have high arches. i have constant pain in the metarsal region of my feet. in january, the podiatrist gave me orthotics. i am debating whether or not to open a claim for my feet, either based on my army info or as secondary to my service connected back issues. thanks.

i

14 hours ago, Navy4life said:

I too suffer many feet/ankle issues.  I am currently rated 10% for my left ankle and waiting on an FDC for an increase to the left ankle, as well as I am waiting on my NOD from 2014.  I had my hearing last month with the DRO to see about s/c for my left toe condition, and right foot/ankle condition.  I feel your pain.  I had two fractures to the left ankle in service and I had one fracture to the right foot in service and most recently another fracture to the right foot as well.  I have injections monthly to my toe and ankle on the left foot.  Had surgery in June 2015 for my left ankle/toe and it did no good.  Podiatrist wants to go back in but since I just had surgery in January to my right foot I really don't want anymore surgeries.

I too had to wear heels and my last fracture in service was when I was 8 months pregnant with my second child.

Other than the one sick call where they ordered you inserts, do yo have any other notations in your SMR's for your feet issues?  I am thinking your feet have worsened due to your back....JMHO - I would really consider a secondary claim to back, especially if the most recent issues have come onset since your back issues.

since this happened in the mid 1970's i don't honestly remember if there are other entries in my medical record. don't remember anything in the navy. beside the inserts, the army doc gave me a permanent profile to wear low quarters instead of heels.

15 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

iceturkee,

You may also be experiencing pes cavus(claw foot) related pain and plantar fasciitis, which tends to shadow pes cavus.  I have a handful of pes issues, however get 30% for pes cavus with plantar fasciitis bilateral.  I thought arthritis got it's own separate rating, but I guess not.  Anyway,  I have back problems too, but somehow the two don't meet in the middle for me.

Try painful foot condition, bilateral, when I put my claim in, it said painful foot condition, to include plantar fasciitis. 

Now I have an EED claim in for same, since I had a C&P exam back in early '06 that found all the same issues, but then was not decided yay or nay.

Andyman

i have hammertoes, decreased feeling in 3 of my 5 toes, bilaterally, and high arches.

I suggest you evaluate this based upon the potential for increase, vs the amount of effort you have to put in.  Fish in the river must do so each day.  If they chase after a bug and burn more calories than they get if they catch it, they would starve to death.  So, they make a choice each time a bug goes by.  Does that bug have enough calories for me to chase it?    Large grasshoppers have lots of calories.  Small mosquitoes are less than a snack.  This is why I catch so many fish with grasshoppers.  

You are at 100%.  Figure out, by looking at the rating schedule for foot, if its likely you can "reach" 100 plus 60 for SMC S.  If the answer is no, then let that bug go by and wait for a larger one. 

If, yes, you think that will put you to 100 plus 60 for Smc S, then go get it.  Remember, you will have to do a lot of swimming and jumping (appealing) to get it.  

thanks bronco. i spoke with a state of florida service officer this morning while at the local clinic. he advised against it, given that i have IU that is P&T.

i asked about smc for loss of useage. my main concern is not so much the abundance of foot pain, which is actually nerve pain from my back. but i have three toes, bilaterally, that have decreased sensation so that there is no feeling when you press on the back of them.

the podiatrist also measured muscle strength and i graded 3/5 in both feet. getting custom foot orthotics and hoping they will help somewhat!