VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Auto Adaptive Reimbursement

Rate this question

SKIPRAY

Question

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the auto reimbursement program.My friend is 100% SR Vet that lost his leg in Vietnam.He has received the auto reimbursement for every car that he has bought for the last 20 years.He just bought a new car this year(the last time he used the program was over 8 years ago).He filled out the form 10-1394 in February and now the Va rep in Phoenix is telling him they no longer fund the program.Is this true? Has anyone heard they stopped the program?

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA Rep in Phoenix? Is this a VA employee or someone else?

The form 10-1394 is still active and downloadable. (as of May 4, 2016 anyway!

The rules http://www.prosthetics.va.gov/psas/AAE.asp

It may come to an email "Bob" situation if someone in a VARO is hanging things up.

Interesting that the VA pulled or changed the form 10-1394 download address in the last 24 hours!

So, something is going on! Besides that, the document trail concerning what is authorized and what is not

still exists, but there are references to old documents, handbooks, etc  Further, there is a requirement for annual updates that seem to not have been made, or made it to the actual reference documents.

The allowance list I was able to access was/is supposedly good until the end of the year.

What a mess!

Edited by Chuck75

He deals with a rep in Tucson but I think that falls under Phoenix.It was the Tucson rep that told him that they stopped doing it.I found the link you posted before I asked the question on here.I just wanted to make sure it was still an active program.I will pass this on to him.Thanks.

Update. My friend talked to the head of prosthetics in Tucson(kristine) and she informed him that the VA will not cover some items like power options,automatic transmissions and a few others.(I can't remember the list of things he told me).These were all covered by the VA previously.

• HadIt.com Elder
4 hours ago, SKIPRAY said:

Update. My friend talked to the head of prosthetics in Tucson(kristine) and she informed him that the VA will not cover some items like power options,automatic transmissions and a few others.(I can't remember the list of things he told me).These were all covered by the VA previously.

I'd try to get something in writing concerning changes/refusals, than, "run the flag up the pole" any way that I thought would help.

Automatic transmissions are more or less standard these days, so I'd not be surprised about that.  Bureaucratic screw ups in budgets

are not a valid reason for failing to provide benefits required by title 38.

Looking at things from a different perspective, some vehicle options are often listed as options,even though they are really "standard".

A/C and automatic transmissions are just two. Another possible go-around is that different trim levels of the same vehicle have different options as "standard".

You could possibly buy a base version, and add options at extra cost, or an up trim version with the "options" already included as "standard".

It may be that the VA is looking at what the "normal" buyer options are, and trying to avoid paying for them.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

VA helps a disabled veterans buy a car for years & then tell them they won't pay for the Automatic transmission  is the most ridiculous crap I ever heard ..Report this to Robert McDonald

if they get away with it they will just go for more crap.

jmo

................Buck

I think it is more like what Chuck is trying to say.Some items that were added in prior years are now pretty much standard equipment. ie. power windows,automatic transmission,air conditioning.

They should however should have to put these changes in writing.I was under the impression that since the VA is Federal, that they can't willy-nilly change programs without it being in writing.I thought the C.F.R's covered everything the government does.

Edited by SKIPRAY