Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU, Voc Rehab, SSDI, rating increase question

Rate this question

..tiredmarine0331

Question

Hi everyone,

I started voc rehab on October 10th of 2016, my counselor put me in a program extended evaluation because I have gone to school in the past and did not work out for me. I get BAH every month while I attend to this program, I volunteer at a call center and the manager submits the hours that I volunteer to my voc rehab counselor. I am required to complete 32 hours every week. During the month of November I completed half of the hours I was required to work resulting in an over payment from the V.A. I could not attend to my place of duty some days because I had ER visits, v.a. appointments and disability related matters. My counselor told me that my best bet is to file for IU since I was not fit for school and had 4 different jobs in 2016 due to ptsd and physical disabilities (currently 80% combined) She mentioned that she was going to write a memo explaining that I am not employable, she said that her letter would carry a lot of weight in regards of the V.A. making a decision to put me in IU and to get SSDI through the SSA.

My concern is how long would this decision take to get approved, I have read many posts and it seems that it can vary from 2 to 6 months sometimes 1 year. I cannot wait that long since I have a family to support and bills to pay like everyone else.

I submitted an "intent to file" claim on ebenefits 3 months ago, I am putting all the evidence, mri's, doctor's notes, and evetything else that I need to increase my rating and to add other disabilities that I did not add in the past. I am going to submit the claim in a few weeks:

Should I get letters from my therapists and psychiatrist stating that I am not employable to have a more solid claim?

Is extended evaluation considered full time work and will this be seen like I am employable?

I just sit down all day at the call center and help with paperwork and maybe call 6 individuals per day.

Any inputs welcomed

5 answers to this question

When Voc Rehab documents that  a vet's SCs make Voc Rehab unfeasible, it is excellent evidence for TDIU,paid at the 100% rate.

"Is extended evaluation considered full time work and will this be seen like I am employable?

I just sit down all day at the call center and help with paperwork and maybe call 6 individuals per day."

I dont know what you mean by extended evaulation....do you actually paid for the volunteer work?

"Should I get letters from my therapists and psychiatrist stating that I am not employable to have a more solid claim? "

It would not hurt if they are willing to do that.

Make sure VA hasa copy of  the VOC Rehab letter. It is impossible to know how long this will all take.

The Voc Rehab letter and letters from your  psychiatrist and therapist should help you obtain SSDI, if you are eligible for that.

SSDI has a web site and it contains an application form.

They can make a decision in months, and it might take the VA a year or more.

When SSDI awards solely for SC conditions that too is excellent evidence for TDIU.

Edited by Berta

tiredmarine0331, just to clarify, you do not receive any pay from the call center itself,  just the bah allowance through the voc rehab program.  If that is correct, I don't think that would count as a job, but it's difficult to say with the VA.  If they were to try to use that to say that you can work,  get a letter from the supervisor at the call center stating that you have missed alot of days due to your SC disabilities (in fact,  I would go ahead and get the letter from the supervisor and submit it). What Ms Berta stated above is absolutely correct,  there's no way to tell how long it will take,  but if you are in a hardship situation,  get late rent statements(if your behind on rent),  late electric bills,  car payments etc,  and submit a request for hardship. I have done that myself and it did help.  If I remember correctly, use a statement in support of claim form,  state that you are requesting expediting due to hardship and submit proof with the statement. The letter from Voc Rehab will help tremendously, I just received one myself and am awaiting my decision now as well.  Good luck to you,  and I hope this helps. 

That is right, I do not get paid directly from the call center, I get BAH from chapter 31 voc rehab while I complete my hours at the call center. I will go ahead and get a letter from the supervisor at the call center stating that I miss work days due to my disabilities and appointments.

I will get the unemployability letter from my counselor and show proof that I am in a horrible financial situation. Thanks for the responses, flores97 once you get your approval letter could you let me know how long it took you to get it, I understand that every case varies and it is different. Thanks everyone!

Tired Marine0331, it's no problem at all and I will be sure to post my tdiu situation as soon as I hear anything.