VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Compassionate allowance list

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So I've been racking up my headaches with my research has anyone actually use the Compassionate Allowance List to speed up their SSDI claim? On this lists on the SSA website lists quite.a few disabilities and after a hearing I read the whole 4 set transcript says is TBI's  with stroke are now additions to their list.

• Compassionate allowances are a way of quickly identifying diseases and other medical conditions that invariably qualify under the Listing of Impairments based on minimal objective medical information.
  • Compassionate Allowances (CAL) apply to both SSDI and SSI claims.
  • Compassionate Allowances is not a separate program from the Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income programs.
  • U.S. Department of Social Security has held seven Compassionate Allowances public outreach hearings. The hearings were on rare diseases, cancers, traumatic brain injury (TBI) and stroke, early-onset Alzheimer's disease and related dementias, schizophrenia, cardiovascular disease and multiple organ transplants and autoimmune diseases.
  • If you have medical documentation to prove that you have one of the qualifying conditions, your initial claim will automatically be flagged by the SSA and processed much quicker.
  • If your disabling condition is on the Social Security disability compassionate allowances list, you will want to make certain that your application for Social Security disability benefits clearly states this.
Edited by jfrei

I am sorry to hear about your loss I'm just trying to navigate this SSDI claim without the cost of an attorney and stumbled onto this CAL on the website. I just spoke with the disability verification office and she said my claim just was sent to them but someone will be assigned to it soon. I don't know if it moving quicker but at least its not still not at the SSA office. My claim is only 8 days old and she said someone will be looking at it soon. She didn't sound like she was BSing me to get me off the phone.

Edited by jfrei

If granted immediately it would be 1673 and if wait until next month on  my birthday it will be more. I'm guessing it wont be that quick the disability determination called me said they have my records they have my MRIs from 2007 and the one from 2016 that shows no difference allowing with a 3.25 arachnoid cyst superior to the cerebellum and residual blood in my brain from 10 years ago . She said once I fill out the paperwork they send me I will be scheduled for a RFC. I'm assuming the mental RFC since its for a Neurological disorder but everything seems to moving quick its only been 9 days. So when the RFC confirms what my C&P examiner did for my TBI review is made I still am hoping for claim to be answered in less then a month. I don't care about if they hold 5 months it is what that is just as long as I know help is coming. Has anyone had a Mental RFC? What if my physical RFC says I am physically able but my mental says I cant? My wife has saved me numerous times even leaving the stove on for more then 12 hours since I forget or leaving my propane tank open until it was drained good thing I don't smoke.

1 hour ago, L said:

Mr Jfrei - seems like you have the process under control, good job.  Most cognitive issues ( based on my experience with Occupational Therapy x 21 years) with TBI can be overcome with a memory book and utilizing the alarm on your phone as a reminder- or whatever compensatory techniques are needed to adapt to your situation.

Keep me posted. My exam was combined into one for both physical and mental but that was 3 years ago. 

Except when you lose your phone because you misplaced it I've tried I also would keep a note book around people not knowing why I wrote everything down mocking me gets old do does misplacing the notebook. Thanks for the kind words

Edited by jfrei

Thanks for the information jfrei. I will be visiting SSA for an update next week, and your information was invaluable in applicability and timing. You are way ahead of me in every respect.

And despite what the Occupational Therapist said, Blast Tbi is not like focal concussion Tbi that does heal. Blast Tbi prematurely ages your white brain matter nerves that connect to your grey brain matter. So all your signals to your brain, memory, breathing, vision, and balance just gets worse and worse. And nerves do not heal well at all as a general rule.

Most VA employees no matter what their title is, fail to acknowledge the difference between bTBI and mTBI. So anything less than a MD Physician with brain specialties does not have the expertise to diagnose the complications of bTBI symptoms.

Edited by armorer