VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

KIA Vietnam vet denied Purple Heart, need help

Rate this question

miatabrg91

Question

Please google "CPL James D. Davis" on Facebook for several articles concerning a 46 year remembrance many members of his unit had for him. Four fellow brothers were kia'd and denied purple hearts under the friendly fire rule. The family thought the medal was missing all these years. I have no idea how to go about correcting this wrong for James, his family and his fellow soldiers families. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Creig Anderson

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://company-c--2nd-bn--506th-inf.com/Tribute - Jim Davis.html

From what I read here, it should be a slam dunk.

I can't see where artillery fire would not have been directed at the enemy.

I'm thinking an easy fix, just not sure how.

The BCMR (Board of Correction of Military Records) via the DD Form 149 would probably take a year or more.  I can't remember how long mine took, but they send you a response letter with a web site and you can watch you claim progress.  Different than eBenefits, but you get the idea.

The only thing faster would be a Congressman, but not sure this rises to that level.  Don't flame me, just saying, I know the deal.

Hamslice

Slam Dunk? NO WAY.

I have put the PH criteria here as well as a link to the MOPH.

I have found no vet ever awarded comp by the BVA for a friendly fire issue,after reading some decisions there----but others can continue the BVA search if they wish.

The MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart) can explain the regulations in the link I posted above.

As one of the articles states at the Tribute, Command fully investigated this incident.

Someone, a next of kin, or vet lawyer or even maybe a vet rep with a next of kin's POA can acquire his STRS and his 201 files for the full explanation of the situation.Maybe a Congressman would be willing to help but they too would need to acquire those and the Unit records and Command investigative findings.

PS, I went o the Wall on line and the coordinates in the tribute match a different deceased Vietnam veteran.

Also I found a page that has a photo of James D. Davis on the Wall I .I have been to the Wall many times, so this is a legit photo) but the info with it says this vet was with 101st Airborne and yet the tribute says Davis was in the Army too so , thats OK but why does different vet pop up with the Wall coordinates?I certainly am doing my own investigation of this because I think there is far more to it than we know....

maybe Google knows.... what surprised me too is that there are no photos of the mother or any family members at the Wall in DC or even at a traveling Wall.... and no tracings uploaded .

The tribute says he had 5 brothers and 5 sisters. Have they been contacted at all ?

As I mentioned before here a Wall tracing can be used as evidence for a PTSD claim.

The VA never mentioned the Wall Tracings my husband sent to them for his buddy whose tank was blown up right in front of him. He had so many stressors it didnt matter to the VA. They awarded anyhow.

My husband is on the In Memoriam Honor Roll in DC.

The In Memoriam Honor Roll is where family members can get their deceased vets who were dead due to AO disabilities placed on it (and other reasons they are deceased due to service and they asked me for photos and a special tribute which I gladly prepared for my husband and it is all available in DC and they have many visitors to this .

http://www.vvmf.org/Honor-Roll/search/results

This photo is my husband's plaque there in DC  ---- 17 years old..in his Alter Boy robes, the week before he went to Camp LeJeune. 1964.

simmons_rf.jpg

Innocence lost Forever due to the Vietnam War.Ist Amphibious Tractor Battalian, First WAve, Ist MARDIV 1965-1966.

Dead due to DMII contributing direct SC and malpractice 2009 award

AO IHD contributing direct SC and 1151 2012 award

1151 HBP contributing  2015 award

1151 Stroke contributing  2012 awatd

and Death by VA FTCA/1151 (malpractice) 1997-1998 awards

I am still ANGRY. He was 47 years old when the VA killed him.

Edited by Berta

Berta, unless I'm missing something here, the 101st is an army unit, I was in it.

Allan

"One O One, patch on my shoulder, pick up your weapon and follow me, airborne ranger infantry..."

YES. I realized that Right Away- I lost a good friend ( 101st Airborne) years ago and there appeared to be no way the wife could attain DIC. An awful situation  and I just edited the above.before I saw your correction ....THANKS----And Sorry Screaming Eagles out there

I am going to recheck the Wall info again.....I dont doubt the story... I just do not understand why decades have passed and this is all coming up now.Not only for this vet but also for the buddies ,who the poster mentioned.....and if his mother is deceased surely one of the siblings would still be alive I hope....