Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

This useless diagnosis is apparently a catch all for nothing dx. It's limited to being dx for 6 months after the stressor my sTBi was over ten years ago. How can you say I have an AD with my sTBI. If my residuals are still manifested is that still technically an ongoing stressor for my AD? Does anyone have any experience with this I know I've already been dx for having PTSD and a sTBI, how is that possible to have a AD with those two already service connected? Makes my damn head shake pardon my French...

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It is possible to have multiple mental health disorders diagnosed, including AD and PTSD. If this involves your MH rating, keep in mind that the rating percentage is based on the level of social and professional deficit.

MH diagnosed is my sTBI residuals and my PTSD. My Neurologist opined that my sTBI also exacerbated my ADD to the point were I can no longer do my job . My psychiatrist called it  an AD due to my sTBI/PTSD. So is it possible to have AD with all my all SC PTSD ties in with my residuals of my sTBI rated currently at 70%?

Edited by jfrei

In my non-professional opinion, I believe it is possible. Please see the table below and the explanations.

They may have chosen to diagnose you with an AD because of the problems interacting socially and/or professionally. This is straight out of the rating table for 70%: "difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting)". In this case, "adapting" and "adjusting" might be used interchangeably.

When you are no longer able to work or be employable due to the the MH problems, you may qualify for a 100% MH rating if you requested an increase. There are other topics here on Hadit where it indicates that 100% rating for a MH disorder means you can't work and if found to be working they might drop the rating to 70% or lower due to no longer meeting the "Total occupational and social impairment" requirement.

I hope this helps!

§4.130   Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships. 70

They already made me 100 IU for my TBI/ptsd/memory lapses/ sleep disturbances/ bilateral temporal lobes/ cognitive disorder. My guess is AD is the next on the list. I think it's impossible to be 100 scheduler for a MH issues. The doctor who dx me as having ptsd due to my TBI is doing the another exam for my AD. I  Is it possible to have a secondary MH issue like AD with its own rating if it was due to my childhood ADHD which was in remission all of high and my first 3 years of active duty and I can show evidence to the doctor with school records and awards prior if it being dormant and my childhood dx of when prescribed Ritalin for it when I was 11-13 which until the age of 31 back on it again.

I don't mean to dig too deeply, but being IU means you are not supposed to be gainfully employed. Yes, you can piddle and have to report income each year, but it is indeed possible to be 100% schedular for MH issues.

Please bear in mind that an adjustment disorder and ADHD are two completely different diagnoses. In my opinion, I don't think that telling them you had ADHD when you were younger will help. Many children are given ritalin and similar meds, but the fact that your doctor back then took you off of it indicates you no longer medically needed it because symptoms improved or you might have overcome them entirely at that time.

Keep in mind that your claim is for issues secondary to TBI. I assume your current issues are the result of a the cascading domino effect caused by TBI. If not for the TBI, you would not need to be back on the medication again. It might be better to keep the focus on the fallout from TBI instead of including childhood factors which might distract the C&P doc from the main problem: TBI secondaries.

Just my opinion, hope it is helpful.

I understand completely and I'm not working but I got the Voc assement to help with my SSDI since they say I don't have enough Vocational history even though I meet the work requirements. I guess Ive never really Ebert thought about being stopped as I was improvement as a kid. But I'm taking your advice the AD is a now dx and don't need a reason for them to deny me if the doctors stopped diagnosing  and giving me drugs when I was 12. This new Dx got me a new psych exam for my FDC claim in 1 week after I filed. But i guess what's the point if they can't give me a separate rating or make me 100 is it possible to be a threat to others or myself by my impulsive actions and be rated 100%? 

Edited by jfrei