VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pad Secondary To Ihd

Rate this question

DuRock

Question

I was first diagnosed with IHD and PAD at the same time back in 1999 and have my claim in for IHD at this time since OCT 2009 with no answer yet. If I am awarded compensation for PTSD is there any chance of claiming PAD as secondary to IHD? My Vascular surgeon says they are basically the same desease just in different locations of the body. I am pretty sure I will be awarded 60% (METS 4.2 and EF at 48%). I have had one MI and 7 stents with 3 leg bypass surgeries plus mamy other heart complications as well.

DuRock

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I posted the following some time ago but it will take strong medical evidence to show a relationship between the PAD and IHD.They are different.

"According to Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (Harrison's

Online, Chapter 237, Ischemic Heart Disease, 2008), IHD is a condition

in which there is an inadequate supply of blood and oxygen to a portion

of the myocardium; it typically occurs when there is an imbalance

between myocardial oxygen supply and demand. Therefore, for purposes of

this regulation, the term ``IHD'' includes, but is not limited to,

acute, subacute, and old myocardial infarction; atherosclerotic

cardiovascular disease including coronary artery disease (including

coronary spasm) and coronary bypass surgery; and stable, unstable and

Prinzmetal's angina. Since the term refers only to heart disease, it

does not include hypertension or peripheral manifestations of

arteriosclerosis such as peripheral vascular disease or stroke.

http://www.regulatio...A-2010-VBA-0005"

Of course if IHD has caused stroke or any other secondary condition, those conditions should be claimed as secondary to the IHD and will need medical evidence of the nexus of the claimed secondary to the IHD.

Edited by Berta

Berta, I have heard of PAD being awarded as secondary to IHD and also secondary to DIABETES 2 I will have to do some research and get some BVA cases for durock but beyond that.

I have recently heard of a IHD claim that included a PAD connection.

Durock I am suprised you have not heard or been awarded on your claim yet!

I heard of a vietnam vet just recently who was waiting for his award and the wife just posted last week he had a massive heart attack and died! I personally am so sorry for her and him and this just gets by blood boiling mad at the VA!!

While they have been very good to me and I am still living it just breaks my heart to have this ocurring!!

The VA needs to address these claim faster! This is not like cancer or any of the other diseases. We do not know if our last breath will be our last!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Your doctor needs to say that the PAD is secondary to the IHD. When you ask for a secondary condition to be SC'ed you need a good statement from a doctor to connect all the dots and explain the linkage. Even when it is obvious you still need an explicite statement to make the connection.

Berta, I have heard of PAD being awarded as secondary to IHD and also secondary to DIABETES 2 I will have to do some research and get some BVA cases for durock but beyond that.

I have recently heard of a IHD claim that included a PAD connection.

Durock I am suprised you have not heard or been awarded on your claim yet!

I heard of a vietnam vet just recently who was waiting for his award and the wife just posted last week he had a massive heart attack and died! I personally am so sorry for her and him and this just gets by blood boiling mad at the VA!!

While they have been very good to me and I am still living it just breaks my heart to have this ocurring!!

The VA needs to address these claim faster! This is not like cancer or any of the other diseases. We do not know if our last breath will be our last!!

Thanks for the reply Stillhere, the only word I have got from the VA for the last 14 months are letters stating we are still working on your claim, I called the 800 number and they said there had been no activity on my claim since July. They said they sent a query that would require a phone call back to me within 5 business days, well that was 10 working days ago and still no call. I have just decided to wait it out and see what happens. I just spent a week in the hospital with my A-FIB and they have finally gotten that corrected so I feel much better at this point in time, but who knows what tommorrow may bring. I crinch every time I hear of a vet passing while waiting on a reply from the VA, it just should not take so long for them to do what they have to do, it just plain makes no sense at all.

DuRock

There are many disabilities that can be medically associated to IHD.

I have asked for IHD rating as well as CVA to be considered as secondary to my husband's IHD.

The med record definitely makes the connection but these were conditions that were part of my major malpractice claim.

I took VA step by step with the medical records that showed the connection (and a cover up so no one would find out Rod had untreated IHD for years prior to the CVA)

I dont expect a problem with the CVA as secondary but will promptly get IMO if the VA cannot get it right.

Yes=these guys are right- it will take medical evidence to show the connection from IHD to PAD or any other secondary.