VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea secondary to PTSD granted but !!!!

Rate this question

Rootbeer112

Question

Hello everyone,

Just posting this question now after talking to Gastone in another forum. I have an NOD in from 2016, for PTSD and Migraines , both of which were denied in 2016 which is why I did the NOD. While being treated for my PTSD I was sent to have a Sleep study done as I have horrible sleep patterns, it showed I have Sleep Apnea, therefore I now use a CPAP machine etc... The head of Sleep at The Philadelphia VA as well as my provider filled out DBQ's for me as well as wrote Nexus letters stating that my OSA was directly related to my PTSD and PTSD Meds. I did an FDC and the VA connected it secondary to PTSD, so on ebenifits under the Pending Disbalities where PTSD is, there is an Arrow that says sleep apnea secondary to PTSD.

Here are my questions:

1. I have my NOD in for PTSD as well as Migraines and have DBQ's , Nexus letters etc... for both. Can they or will they still deny my PTSD if they have already connected my Sleep Apnea secondary to it.

2. If they do approve me a rating for PTSD, will I then be rated for Sleep apnea as well?

Any thoughts would help. thanks

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Your very fortunate that your VA Dr's help you with the DBQ...From my experience from my VAMC My Dr's won't help at all.

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I  Assume you do have a Diagnose from the VA for Sleep Apnea? & prescribe a C-PAP Machine by the VA Sleep Clinic? &Took the class instructions from the sleep clinic on how to use and care for the C-Pap machine?

If you have been S.C. for PTSD and taking medications ''certain PTSD Meds can be filed as secondary to PTSD  & If you have those medical records where the sleep Dr gives his opinion that it is likely as not your Sleep Apnea (OSA) is related to your PTSD Meds (name the meds)  then you have a 90% chance of getting approved for S.A.  Secondary to your PTSD.

Their probably needing those records that make this nexus to make the decision  so make sure they have those records.

I have all of those Buck, just waiting for the NOD to see if they grant the PTSD. Someone said they wouldn't have put the sleep apnea secondary to PTSD if they weren't going to grant it, but I don't know

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Your very fortunate that your VA Dr's help you with the DBQ...From my experience from my VAMC My Dr's won't help at all.

I have had no problem getting the DBQ's for PTSD or Sleep as well as Nexus letters. I also have Nexus letters for Migraines from my VA providers

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger That Rootbeer112!!!

16 hours ago, Rootbeer112 said:

I am just as interested as you haha. I have Nexus letters from my Psychologist for my PTSD as well as Initial and Review DBQ's for my PTSD. The DRO requested more information from her and she sent another 38 pages of treatment records to the VA so I hope that helps. I don't know what else I could possibly provide. Someone told me the fact the DRO asked for more information means they may approve the NOD. As far as the Sleep apnea I have a DBQ from the Head of sleep the Philly VARO and a Nexus letter from my provider at the VA, they linked it secondary to PTSD, I just need the PTSD to be connected. What do you think my chances are with that?

FWIW they asked for more info on my secondary claim of sleep apnea via PTSD, and I got denied.  But then again I hadn't established the PTSD connection yet, I have that now. 

Not sure what your chances are, I have some strong sleep apnea evidence and the Doc said I had a good case as a stand-alone claim.  So I'm going with that.  I'm rooting for you though, gives other vets in similar circumstances hope. 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:15 AM, Buck52 said:

I  Assume you do have a Diagnose from the VA for Sleep Apnea? & prescribe a C-PAP Machine by the VA Sleep Clinic? &Took the class instructions from the sleep clinic on how to use and care for the C-Pap machine?

If you have been S.C. for PTSD and taking medications ''certain PTSD Meds can be filed as secondary to PTSD  & If you have those medical records where the sleep Dr gives his opinion that it is likely as not your Sleep Apnea (OSA) is related to your PTSD Meds (name the meds)  then you have a 90% chance of getting approved for S.A.  Secondary to your PTSD.

Their probably needing those records that make this nexus to make the decision  so make sure they have those records.

I have a Diagnosis of PTSD from my VA doctor as well as my Private Psychologist, I just need to be service connected for PTSD which is why I have my NOD in. As far as sleep goes, I was connected secondary to PTSD as I showed in earlier posts from EBEn's, I use CPAP, I supplied the VA with Nexus as well as DBQ's from the Head of Sleep in Philly stating it was due to my PTSD Meds. I just have no clue if they will connect the PTSD even with all the proof of stressors, all the DBQ's and Nexus letters my doctors supplied, and the DRO requested more information from my Psychologist and she sent in another 38 pages. SO I guess if I get connected for PTSD some others on here said I will get connected for sleep also since they already have it listed as secondary to PTSD.