VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

QTC exam

Rate this question

draggon_9

Question

I applied last month!  to re-evaluate my Spondylosis after 10 years for an increase in benefits. I was contacted by QTC for an exam next week? I haven't had an MRI on my back since 2007 and these guys are going examine me without an updated MRI? Am I wrong to assume that the VA is going to do that after the exam? Something really stinks here or I'm just not fully informed? Help?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I have not seen VA do an MRI for benefits purposes ONLY.  Possible, but MRI's are very expensive.  

Remember, once service connected, VA rates you on SYMPTOMS.  MRI is not a symptom.  Its a test they use to see if you have a disorder, decide if surgury will help. 

I suggest not worrying about the MRI, or lack of it.  Simply report your symptoms to the c and p doc.  

Your c and p doc CAN order an MRI, but probably wont, because VA wont want to pay for it just for benefits.  

Dont expect VA to pay thousands of dollars for an MRI just to decide if you should get an increase.  

Your "older" MRI could/did document that you "did not make those symptoms up", because they show up on tests.  Remember, VA looks for malingerers.  (people who make up symtoms to get benefits, that is, frauds.)  

It sounds like you are not suspected of fraud, and that is a good thing.  If you were suspected of making up your symptoms, then VA "May" order an MRI to confirm if you really have something that would cause your symptoms.  It sounds like they already have that, on record, and will likely beleive you  as long as your symptoms are consistent with the medical tests, and doctors opinion.  

Now, if you think an MRI is necessary to document the increase in severity of your symptoms, you can order one and pay for it.  And, in some circumstances it may be worth it for you to do just that.  

However, just honestly report your symptoms, and you should be able to maintain that trust between you/your doc/ and VA that you are not a malingerer.  

If your symptoms are real, and you are not borrowing your neighbors wheel chair just to do the c and p exam, then walk out of it immediately after the exam, you should do fine.  

When I had my last increase for comp in 2008 they gave me an MRI just before my C&P exam. Things change after 10 years and have gotten worse. I would assume that they would know this as common sense to have an updated file to make an accurate decision. Thanks for the info.

I agree with Broncovet here that if you believe an MRI is warranted you might want to get one for yourself if you can afford it.  I had to get two IMO's for my claim.  The VA is not the best steward of medical care right now.