VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reopening a PTSD claim

Rate this question

bc0311

Question

I'm new to this site, and somewhat novice with claims as I've ignored them since my discharge in 2012, but I have some questions that I've yet to find answers for that hopefully someone can help me with:

In a nutshell, my story is I did my four years, two hellish combat tours to Afghan, got out in 2012, immediately filed my claims for a few disabilities like back and shoulder issues and got a 40% rating total. I've since not looked back as none of that concerns me. My issue now is that I was sent to a mandatory PTSD screening during one of my visits that year, and the examiner kind of went about the thing blase, and although I did tell her most of my traumatic experiences, she gave me 0% for "Combat PTSD not related to military service" as it says in their justification, whatever that means. I don't think they even attempted to listen to me as my experiences were extraordinarily traumatic and have been a detriment to my mental health and quality of life since. And yet I now have an effective date of a PTSD claim from day of discharge 6 years ago for 0%, says it right on eBenefits. I think you know where I'm going with this...

After 6 years of dealing with a slew of issues related to PTSD, I decided this week to start looking into trying to re open the case. My questions for you are.... Would I be entitled to any back pay if I could prove that I've suffered from PTSD since then, and that they made their original decision in error? And if so, how could I go about receiving the exact paper work / medical records from that one specific screening I had in 2012? I've looked everywhere and I don't really know how to navigate either of these situations... 

Thanks a lot!

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Sorry I don't know what a C & P exam is. I had one meeting with an examiner or psychologist, not sure her title. It's been a few years. 

I can't find those letters on hand at the moment, but I distinctly remember it saying that ^ on it. 

The most I can dig up right now is this original claims paperwork which said I did claim it in 2012. 

28554820_10159962453215065_817774285_o.jpg

So here's what I have on eBenefits. 

You can see where it says "not related to military service."

What's weird is it originally said 0% and effective the same date on the multiple letters I've received. I just need to find them... 

So I guess I need to prove that they made this decision in error...? Can I do that by simply re-opening the case?

article.jpg

Edited by bc0311

• HadIt.com Elder

A C&P Exam is an exam is when your VA R.O. sends you to a forensic exam from a qualified Dr to determine the severity of your symptoms and the severity of them BY ASKING YOU QUESTIONS AND READING YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY and to check your in service stressors and medical records and make sure you have been Dx for DSM 5 PTSD.

it says your not Service connected for PTSD...where does it say your S.C.?

to get a % of either 0%  without payment or 10% 30% 50% 70% 100%  you will need this service connected.

Most of us that have PTSD Diagnose by the VA   We have had to have C&P PTSD Forensic Exam  this is how they determine your % based on the symptoms and the severity of them.

You could ask MH Docs to help you if you been Dx for PTSD maybe ask them to fill out a PTSD DBQ and present your evidence for S.C. 

I see the letters TBI were written on the claim where its addressing your Ankle/tinnitus shoulders......who wrote that on there?

I see your 0% service connected for the TBI,  however you can't have two MH Conditions for rating purposes!

Edited by Buck52

I don't know how else to explain it. In 2012 I claimed PTSD, went to a screening for disability, which I guess is C&P, and told them my issues and gave them my evidence. They told me it wasn't service connected. That's ridiculous and impossible. I didn't get PTSD from a tire blow out. I did two combat tours during the bloodiest months of the war. I have seen the worst OEF had to offer. I've been blown up twice and shot at several hundred times. I saw death every week.  It has severely affected me and my family. 

It said 0% in my original letters, I promise you. I can still picture it in my head because of how astonished I was. I can no longer find those letters, but I did request my records from the VA. 

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding my questions?

Let me better explain what I'm saying..

My PTSD is most certainly "service connected." That may not have been the VA's decision, but as I just explained, I did not get PTSD from anything else other than two combat deployments. I have a truckload of evidence to prove this, from medical records to pictures to witness statements. 

It should be very obvious that the VA made an error by stating this was not service connected. I went in there, told the lady my problems, wrote down what I experienced and walked out. I've never had some other traumatic experience outside of the service. It's pretty cut and dry. I suffer from PTSD related to my service. 

So back to my original question... If I re-open my original claim and submit all of my evidence, will this prove they made an error, and if so, am I entitled to actual compensation and possibly backpay? 

• HadIt.com Elder

If you requested your records thats a good start  you also need your C-FILE.

You need to find those records that states you were Service Connected at 0%.

You have to prove Service connection...use your STR'S, old unit morning reports some records that place you in the locations at the time conflict that you were traumatized and in fear for your life

..you should have a CAB on your DD 214 You can use that as part of your evidence and VA Will conceade your stressors any combat action ribbons certificates citations awards  ect,,,ect,,

Report for duty records, buddy statements  from your buddy's  name and locations dates you were at during combat action.

Find Medic medical reports any type record that puts you in a war zone of combat