COVA awards disability for pain

Rate this question

vetquest

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@vetquest interesting article of VA awards for pain.. I hope my question makes sense but you know how you can look up the categories of sc disabilities the VA approves (ie ptsd, tinnitus) is there one for “pain” ? I’ve suffered with chronic pain for years secondary to fibromyalgia and my non VA doc even wrote a letter to give to my VA doc that she believes my chronic fibromyalgia is directly related to my in-service injury to help me get approved by the VA to get accupuncture as an alternative to pain meds for the fibro pain.  My va doc approved the accupuncture but without even reading the letter from the non va doc basically saying he didn’t need to connect my fibromyalgia with my sc condition he would just approve the non va care fir accupuncture.   My point is...I have been thinking for sometime to file a claim for the fibromyalgia specifically because of the chronic pain because that is the affect fibromyalgia has on a person.  And there is medical backing that connects Fibromyalgia to traumatic events which I experienced in-service.  So I guess I wonder if the condition like “fibromyalgia” or  the “pain” from it can be rated even if it’s not on the list of va sc disabilities/conditions?

• HadIt.com Elder

Michigander

I believe this is very new and things will need to be worked out as for as how they rate pain.

I would think it will be any S.C. Condition that causes pain..it's how they rate it is what debatable?

..we all need more information as to what and how the criteria will be?

3 hours ago, Michigander said:

My point is...I have been thinking for sometime to file a claim for the fibromyalgia specifically because of the chronic pain because that is the affect fibromyalgia has on a person.  And there is medical backing that connects Fibromyalgia to traumatic events which I experienced in-service.  So I guess I wonder if the condition like “fibromyalgia” or  the “pain” from it can be rated even if it’s not on the list of va sc disabilities/conditions?

Is this not what you are talking about?

5025   Fibromyalgia (fibrositis, primary fibromyalgia syndrome)   
With widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with or without associated fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, paresthesias, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, depression, anxiety, or Raynaud's-like symptoms:   
That are constant, or nearly so, and refractory to therapy 40 
That are episodic, with exacerbations often precipitated by environmental or emotional stress or by overexertion, but that are present more than one-third of the time 20 
That require continuous medication for control 10 

Note: Widespread pain means pain in both the left and right sides of the body, that is both above and below the waist, and that affects both the axial skeleton (i.e., cervical spine, anterior chest, thoracic spine, or low back) and the extremities.

1 hour ago, Michigander said:

YES! Is this listed for a condition with the VA?? I mean is it something I could file a claim for??

I took that directly from eCFR Title 38  Chapter I  Part 4 → Subpart B.

If you are not familiar with CFR- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 38 that is where Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief are listed. Start looking into it, lots of useful information. I did a search for fibromyalgia to find the 5025 listing. 

You can absolutely file a claim for this. 

14 hours ago, Michigander said:

I’ve suffered with chronic pain for years secondary to fibromyalgia and my non VA doc even wrote a letter to give to my VA doc that she believes my chronic fibromyalgia is directly related to my in-service injury to help me get approved by the VA to get accupuncture as an alternative to pain meds for the fibro pain.  My va doc approved the accupuncture but without even reading the letter from the non va doc basically saying he didn’t need to connect my fibromyalgia with my sc condition he would just approve the non va care fir accupuncture.  

Since your doctor is willing to write you a letter stating this is secondary to your in-service injury this should be golden. Your VA doctor apparently isn't very concerned with SC. I think the main person you have to convince is the RO(rating officer). 

There is lots of help out here. Just ask. Good luck.