Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Schizophrenia

Rate this question

hulamatt

Question

how many things from the 100% rating do you have to have to get it, Ive got about three, including disorganized thought process, persistent delusions and hallucinations, and danger to self and others. I currently work, but max i can do is about 4 hours a day, and im constantly getting into trouble, forgetting shit, doing things wrong, not being friendly. I should have my manager write up a letter for me saying how my performance is lacking, but the Va does not know that i work so i figure just not tell them. What do you think, anyone have any experience with schizophrenia claims

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

how many things from the 100% rating do you have to have to get it, Ive got about three, including disorganized thought process, persistent delusions and hallucinations, and danger to self and others. I currently work, but max i can do is about 4 hours a day, and im constantly getting into trouble, forgetting shit, doing things wrong, not being friendly. I should have my manager write up a letter for me saying how my performance is lacking, but the Va does not know that i work so i figure just not tell them. What do you think, anyone have any experience with schizophrenia claims

If you are lying thinking they will not find out you are working. When they do find out and they will, you will be in a whole lotta crap. I think that if you are working than you are not as "sick" as you'd like the VARO to believe. Why don't you just man-up and tell the truth instead of trying to get a free ride. I think the only delusions you're having are that you can get away with fraud. This site was created by vets to help other vets with honest claims, maybe you should think about that before asking anyone here to help you lie.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

Please explain more about your condition. When did it first appear. When diagnosed and by whom. Any hospitalizations or incarcerations?

It is very difficult to really help people with serious mental issues who are not forthcoming with enough information.

That said if you suffer from schizophrenia the likelihood of you holding a job down is slim.

How old are you and what meds does VA have you on.

Help us to help you.

Please explain more about your condition. When did it first appear. When diagnosed and by whom. Any hospitalizations or incarcerations?

It is very difficult to really help people with serious mental issues who are not forthcoming with enough information.

That said if you suffer from schizophrenia the likelihood of you holding a job down is slim.

How old are you and what meds does VA have you on.

Help us to help you.

My condition first appeared while on active duty about a year and a half ago. I was diagnosed by a private physician and the VA while on active duty. I have been hospitalized many times for it, thinking the government is out to get me. For being a danger to myself and others. I've got about 3 hospitalizations in the last year. I am 24. I currently cannot see the Va because i did not have enough time in service. Although i have 3 years, they were not contiuous for 24 months. So i see a private doctor. they have got me on resperidone, paxil, zanax and saphris.

I currently hold a job, but am not very good at it due to my schizophrenia, memory loss, concentration and what not. Its a very damaging disease. On my good days i can handle 4 hours of work maybe. On my bad days, i have to quit due to it being so bad. But i have to make money somehow, and although i am close to being fired, I still hang in there. I know i need to quit, but i dont have the balls to ask my family to support me, while i pursue this Va claim and social security.

Since i got out, i started on my social security case, but i was denied, after that i had no other option but to get a job, being that i didn't have enough money, having to ask my mom for everything she got tired of it. Its hard to be disabled and depend on someone, especially with a mental health condition. All i hear is your getting better, till i have one of my espisodes, and im incapacitated. I have only worked for 4 weeks, and haven't had an incapacitating episode. So i haven't quit, but i know one is just around the corner. And when i have one of these, i need to be hospitalized. I suffer from chronic psychosis which happens at least once a month. I guess i can't really explain my circumstances here, but i tried

My condition first appeared while on active duty about a year and a half ago. I was diagnosed by a private physician and the VA while on active duty. I have been hospitalized many times for it, thinking the government is out to get me. For being a danger to myself and others. I've got about 3 hospitalizations in the last year. I am 24. I currently cannot see the Va because i did not have enough time in service. Although i have 3 years, they were not contiuous for 24 months. So i see a private doctor. they have got me on resperidone, paxil, zanax and saphris.

I currently hold a job, but am not very good at it due to my schizophrenia, memory loss, concentration and what not. Its a very damaging disease. On my good days i can handle 4 hours of work maybe. On my bad days, i have to quit due to it being so bad. But i have to make money somehow, and although i am close to being fired, I still hang in there. I know i need to quit, but i dont have the balls to ask my family to support me, while i pursue this Va claim and social security.

Since i got out, i started on my social security case, but i was denied, after that i had no other option but to get a job, being that i didn't have enough money, having to ask my mom for everything she got tired of it. Its hard to be disabled and depend on someone, especially with a mental health condition. All i hear is your getting better, till i have one of my espisodes, and im incapacitated. I have only worked for 4 weeks, and haven't had an incapacitating episode. So i haven't quit, but i know one is just around the corner. And when i have one of these, i need to be hospitalized. I suffer from chronic psychosis which happens at least once a month. I guess i can't really explain my circumstances here, but i tried

Also can i get my doc to say that my schizophrenia is due to military service being that i had no signs of it before, or is taht a stretch

"Basic Eligibility

A person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable may qualify for VA health care benefits. Reservists and National Guard members may also qualify for VA health care benefits if they were called to active duty (other than for training only) by a Federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty.

Minimum Duty Requirements: Veterans who enlisted after Sept. 7, 1980, or who entered active duty after Oct. 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty in order to be eligible. This minimum duty requirement may not apply to veterans discharged for hardship, early out or a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty."

It seems that you have a disability that 'incurred' or was aggravated by service.

Can you explain this:

"Although i have 3 years, they were not contiuous for 24 months. So i see a private doctor. they have got me on resperidone, paxil, zanax and saphris."

Did your condition cause a discontinuation of service?

Or did you mean NG duty and then regular military?

You stated:

"Since i got out, i started on my social security case, but i was denied,"

Why were you denied and did you appeal that and get a lawyer Since i got out, i started on my social security case, but i was denied, ?

"I was diagnosed by a private physician and the VA while on active duty"

Was your discharge based on disability?

Did you formally apply for VA disability benefits?

Schizophrenia can be service connected.One of the first vets who welcomed me here to hadit was 100% SC for schizophrena.The establishment of service connection and the rating they give all depends on the medical evidence.

A Social Security award can often help to prove that-once service connection has been established-if the SSA award is solely for the same disability-- the SSA award can be used to help VA award TDIU.

SSA denials should always be appealed within the denial time frame.

I am confused here as to how the VA diagnosed you but yet they said you were not eligible for medical care?

Did anyone help you file a claim at that time?

"Also can i get my doc to say that my schizophrenia is due to military service being that i had no signs of it before, or is taht a stretch "

Not a stretch at all- the private doctor wou;ld need to refer to your SMRs and current medical records and to use the IMO criteria here under the IMO forum and state t is as likely as not -or more than likely your schizophrenia began during your service.

He or she would have to state medical rationale -by referring to your SMRs and all available medical records-that the schizophrena began in service,and remains a current condition.

H, I was denied SS the first time & had to get a Lawyer for the ALJ to approve me... I never even considered it till 1996 my World had all went to hell. I had my own business for about 25 years & then POOF down the toilet then I has to fight SS even though they knew all about my Head problems........Then the VA is another animal & it took me 9 years & a Lawyer for them to understand what was up..Thanks to Berta ( To whom I will be forever grateful) & other members Im now at 100% T & P & also SMC at the L rate

&, if I may, I can tell U if U are working the VA will find out

At present the VA has me on appox. about 20 pills a day & I am Thankful that I don't have to pay for all those pills as I believe it would cost me about $2,500 a Month for them

So that would mean I wouldn't be taking them

Also, from what I have read on here is that if the VA finds U were being "TRICKY" with your claim they will come after U for any monies U have received. My advise would be to be straight up with the VA as they will find out as they keep very good records & they can come after U

But,SIR, good luck in your endevors

GARY