Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Went To Ro Today To See The C-file

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Went to Waco RO today to see the C-file. Got there at 1:30 and parked in the visitors parking area right by the door. All the visitors spots were empty. Walked into the building through the metal detector and past the two guards (after we emptied our pockets). After we came inside we were asked where we wanted to go or do and we were given directions on where we needed to go.

We walked into a rather nice reception area, clean and comfortable with many VA brochures on the wall. The gentleman receptionist asked for my husband's VA identification and registered him in. He then called another worker a very nice lady and explained we wanted to see the C-file. She asked us to have a seat and she would be right back with the file.The was only one other person in the waiting room with us. The place was quite empty of veterans.

She came back in about 5 or 6 minutes and produced a 3-4 inch thick file in a special type folder with a rubber band around it. She took us to a private room. She said it looks like you just got your award and asked what we would like to see. We told her and she looked up everything we asked about up. She did not let us peruse through the file ourselves, but she did say we were entitled to have a copy made and she would fill out the form for us. We asked to see the SMR's, they were in the back of the folder in a sepcial envelope for protection as they are quite old now. SHe said with a smile, "these seem a little thin, not very much here".

They had a discharge exam but no entrance exam?? They had DD-214 but no service awards or medals that we have paperwork on. There are more records somewhere we just don't know where. We have some things they don't have and they have some things we don't have. We will look into this more when the official copies come.

By far and away a very plesant experience and the people were very nice. They are not really wanting to sit there while you look for things, make a list before you go and ask for a copy of the entire file.

Also they gave us a pamphlet that was printed in March of 2007, for Texas veterans and dependents for The Hazlewood Act. This is educational benefits for FREE TUITION and FEES (does not cover books) FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN TEXAS. For you TEXANS the number is 1-800-242-3062 ext.6456 for information.

All in all a productive day.

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jan:

The SMR's are a little sketchy but the 201 File should be there.That would be the personnel file if you are not familiar with it. When you get the records I suggest that you get a fireproof box to keep all the Military stuff in.

If they did not have all the SMR's you might want to ask St Louis.

I want to thank you very much for your participation on Hadit. I hope that you and Chuckles continue to hang out cause there are a lot of Veterans who can use some encouragement as they struggle.

The Hazelwood Act is very nice. I am thinking about using it next year.

I got my DV Plates today. 11 years late but who pays close attention.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Guest jangrin
Jan:

The SMR's are a little sketchy but the 201 File should be there.That would be the personnel file if you are not familiar with it. When you get the records I suggest that you get a fireproof box to keep all the Military stuff in.

If they did not have all the SMR's you might want to ask St Louis.

I want to thank you very much for your participation on Hadit. I hope that you and Chuckles continue to hang out cause there are a lot of Veterans who can use some encouragement as they struggle.

I got my DV Plates today. 11 years late but who pays close attention.

Pete,

We are in the process of getting our act together. There are alot of things left to do. Plates, ID cards, Insurance , ChampVa , ... but must say one of the biggest was to go to the County Assessors office and file for the homestead exemption and for the VA discount (exemption) on property and school tax as well as the SSD exemption. I think all vets needs to check into vets disability exemption because they have that scaled to disability percentages. So, you don't have to be 100% to get a break on the taxes. Don't forget to ask for the school tax exemption. I am sure we will be 25% to 50% less in taxes this year by filing the paperwork. And for newly rated vets you can ask for it to be retro for one year.

Just thought I would pass that along-

jangrin

Jan:

what is it?

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

Guest jangrin
what is it?

betrayed,

Once a Texas veteran uses up all the VA education benefits, or if a deceased veterans dependents have used up all their Chapter 35 benfits, etc., the Texas hazelwood Act, will pay ALL tuition for higher education in public schools. So a veteran can go to college and work on his degree, masters, doctorate whatever tuition free. it does not cover books or fees.

But it is a sweet deel if someone likes to learn.

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

and then you fill out your FAFSA and get the rest of your educational expenses covered................BINGO, yer smart!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Guest jangrin
and then you fill out your FAFSA and get the rest of your educational expenses covered................BINGO, yer smart!

OK Larryj,

I'll bite, ...I'm almost afraid to ask... you have been in, such rare form lately,...LOL

What is FAFSA?... :P