VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Metaformin

Rate this topic

Pete, ditto on the metformin seems to help me a lot to keep my A1c at 6 and lost a lot of weight and have not put it back on. I also take quite a few others.

Stillhere

Metformin is a good med if you can tolerate it. It works a little diffrent and it is supposed to be taken with a meal.

I had good luck with it when I remember to take it.

Pete

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

What is intersting to me is that my non VA doctors have me on 1500mg a day, 2 500mg AM and one PM. Nothing is said about taking with a meal. The metformin version I take is supplied by the va and is supposedly a version peaking about 4 hours after you take it.

Metformin is a good med if you can tolerate it. It works a little diffrent and it is supposed to be taken with a meal.

I had good luck with it when I remember to take it.

Pete

• HadIt.com Elder

This just goes to show that there are good reasons to have alternative drugs available. An example is that my relationship with iodine analogs is rocky. It works very well if applied in small areas and not frequently. Large area usage causes all kinds of problems. Betadyne can cause really nasty but not serious side effects in my case.

I took for about 30 days. It gave me diarhia(?) and musle cramps. My PCP changed to Glipizide(?). No problems with the new.

• HadIt.com Elder

Metformin is the only anti-diabetic drug that has been proven to reduce the cardiovascular complications of diabetes, as shown in a large study of overweight patients with diabetes.[11] Unlike the other most-commonly prescribed oral diabetes drugs, the sulfonylureas, metformin monotherapy will not induce hypoglycemia.[12]

You may be referring to extended release metformin Chuck. I pretty much felt that the VA was to cheap to give me something like that. :angry:

I was on Metformin for over 18 months during this time frame my dose went from 500 Mg a day to 1000 Mg 2 times a day. I got severe diarreah from this medication. The problem became worse over time although it did help me with lower glucose readings. I fanally had to stop the metformin when the severe diarreah caused me blood in my stool and severe stomach cramping. I am now on NPS Insulin with no problems.