Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recent Mi And Triple Bi-pass

Rate this question

Jerry_O

Question

Hi All - I'm writing from te VA medical center KC MO. I went on emergency sick call Sunday. My arm was hurging and my jaw ached. At the VA Med they gave me an EKG and lab work. No abnormablies. They gave me a nitro pill and the pain went away. I was admitted. Monday I had a caurterization. I was told my LAD, Right Cornary and another artey was 99%,89% and 85% blocked. I had surgery yesterday - three bi-passes.

I had a MI while on active duty in May 05 and stint. I have a claim in on that plus increase in PTSD. I have a C&P the 13th of June. Should I address the bi-passes at this time?

Is Heart diseases associated with PTSD or visa-versa? I am 59 and will be 60 in September. I'm presently at 60% total. PTSD, DMII, Tinitus, and skin. Would anyone have any idea if I may get a 100% rating. I'm a 26 year Army Retiree. I'm nogt concernd about UI. If they rate this because of PTSD I will be able to add this to my CRSC packet.

Any info you may offer is appreciated. THANKS VETS!!!

Jerry O

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have a C&P on the 13th of June. At that time I will address my three bipasses. My Svc Officer at VFW is going to assist me.

I get to go home Monday. Boy that's a painful operation.

Than you all for the advice.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jerry, I have to admit, It is a remarkable feat to be on Hadit the day following a triple bypass.

Dont over do it.

That is what I call dedicated.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Jerry,

Heart disease as it relates to PTSD is a very contraversial subject not just within the VA, but through out the medical community as a whole. There are a zillion studies that support the nexus and a zillion agaist it. The VA will, however, grant service-connection on a secondary basis as long as you have strong evidence as Berta stated. You'll need to get an IMO to connect the two.

Oh, another thing, DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOUR C&P EXAM ON JUNE 13th TO SUBMIT THE CLAIM! If the RO receives the claim before June 1, your first payment will be as of June if the claim is granted. If you wait until June 13 to submit the claim, payment starts July, so in essence you would loose a month in possible retro benefits!

Vike 17

"Heart disease as it relates to PTSD is a very contraversial subject not just within the VA, but through out the medical community as a whole."

PTSD is caused by 'stressors'.

PTSD is a lifelong continuation of the effects on the mind and body by the original 'stressors'.

That means that the traumatic experiences that precipitated the onset of the PTSD remain as significant sources of stress from the dates of the traumatic events, forward.

Stress also makes any medical condition worse.

Stress is a main contributing factor of the development of cardiac diseases and strokes.

I'm confused.

I have been asking doctors about this heart-stress relationship for 45 years or better. Doctors are never confused or 'iffy' about this subject.

When cardiovascular disease and profound sources of stress are found to exist within one person, the ramifications of the stress condition automatically connects the stress to the cardiac disease through hypertension, flucuating hormone levels, sleep deprivation, altered life styles and the list does go on.

In what ways are cardiac disease and PTSD NOT RELATED?

What controversy?

A better name for PTSD might be 'Acquired Heightened Stress Level disease'.

"Post Traumatic Stress Disorder' is a poor choice of words to describe what trauma does to the human condition.

sledge