Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pc To Mac Making The Switch...advice?

Tbird

• Founder

i am seriously thinking about getting a mac i have using pc's since the late 80's though i've used a mac or two

i'm just really tired of viruses and software conflicts and crashes and pc bs. i think i am getting cranky.

i want a powerful machine that i can do my website with and do some video editing new hobby i am going to try.

i need to be able to ftp to the site and email, content and such.

i just don't know how to equate pc power to mac power

any advise is greatly appreciated

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never personally used a mac. Everyone I know that uses them says they are great for webwork, photography, video editing, graphics etc. Anymore Mac's come with a Document editor that is easily read by Microsoft Office products. So conversion of your info to a PC is much easier now a days. Good luck with finding a solution.

Guest Dataman

TBird;

Having used and maintained both PC's and Mac's. Mac's are about the same when it comes down to the end user. U still need Anti Virus and Anti Spyware. But the MAC vs PC numbers are way lopsided and if your going to write code which would you rather write for? 1 Computer or 100? Virus do exist for Mac. Bad Programming etc. If your going to get a MAC get the fastest Intel Dual Core you can afford. Then the software for the MAC (Intel Mac). Spendy is the biggest drawback.

Your Apps should move over easily enough.

What problems are you having on your PC? Maby I can help.

On Video Editing MAC is the King. But the softwware is Way Way Spendy. Final Cut 2 is $1300. Then about 5k or more for the hardware. (PC and HD's and such for Video Capture/Editing/Storage)

It can be done Amature on the PC for way way less. Buggy yes. I used Studio 8 when I played with it last. If you just want to capture VHS tapes to DVD best method I have found was get a DVD Recorder. Press Play on VHS, Record on DVD. Buy Black Box (anti Macrovision BOX) for Copywrited Tapes. Done!

Or better yet get the DVD of the Tape.

I did all my VHS about a year ago (plus about 3 friends and family's tapes). Don't own single tape.

Shame your not in the same town. I build my own PC's. Easily to do.

• Founder

i'm just frustrated. my desktop which is suppose to be monster machine is acting up in all kinds of strange ways, sometimes it reboots itself, sometimes it freezes up, call tech support they said do a destructive recovery, which i did, same thing keeps happening after i reload the software. called tech support back and they said i have to do another destructive recovery but i need to call them first so they can make sure i am pushing the right button, geez that ticks me off.

so my next computer when i get the cash is either going to be a quad process with about 4gigs of ram or a mac pro. i need a bigger screen

you are right though i probably won't switch to a mac it's just way to expensive for what you get. my friend got an alienware and she is very happy with it, she plays a lot of grahpic intensive games, i don't i just work and work and work, that's why i thought video editing might be ineresting to me, but i don't know.

• In Memoriam

My son has the latest Alienware computer. I had the same problem with rebooting continuously on my PC. I found out that my start button came out of the holder made for it. It was hung in the normally-on position. The computer would be on for a while and it would automatically reboot when the shut down screen came up automatically. I replaced the start switch with the reset switch, that I didn't use anyway. This reset switch is an excellent replacement for the on/off switch.

I also had cookie207 (a virus) that I kept getting. I dumped the cookies and updated Search and Destroy.

Another problem that I have had lately is my new Logitech Web cam. Seems that my first installation interfered with my flash player (YouTube and VA watdog.org imbedded video). I uninstalled the Web Cam, uninstall and reinstalled new Flash, and went just with the Web Cam drivers on the reinstall of logitech Web Cam.

After the Web Cam reinstall all is well.

Stick with the PC. I can figure out anything with a PC. Just takes me a little time.

Also if you want a new PC just get it. You deserve it.

Edited by Stretch

• Founder

a new pc it is, looks like next year for me, budget wise. i think a quad processor is what i'll get definitely 4megs of ram with with windows vista ultimate or do you think i should go with windows vista business?

tech support says my computer problem is a software problem and they can't help me. it goes along fine for awhile and then it just reboots itself, i am going to do the destructive recovery again, but not for awhile i'm not in the mood for reloading software.