• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Gao Report

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfMAY07/nf053007-3.htm

Larry Scott highlighted this part:

"But, the most compelling piece of information is the paragraph below. Read it carefully...it suggest that it's time for a complete and radical overhaul of the VA disability ratings system." per Larry-

"There is also a need to consider more fundamental reform of the VA disability compensation program, particularly with regard to its disability criteria and field structure. VA eligibility criteria for disability continue to be based primarily on physicians’ and lawyers’ estimates made in 1945 of the effects of service-connected impairments on the average individual’s ability to perform jobs requiring manual or physical labor. Moreover, the program’s eligibility criteria do not sufficiently account for developments in science, medicine, and technology, as well as changes in the nature of work that have occurred in the past 62 years—which potentially affect the extent to which disabilities limit one’s earning capacity."

The last part makes me wonder what the report says about all that- but Fundamental Reform! This is what I dream of----

Thanks to all of you who took the time to write to the Dole /Shalala committee-

I feel they listened to us all.

Gotta get out my Dylan CDs-" the times , they are a comin'"

I foresee a change in our lifetimes.

If they added more lawyers to the BVA-who makes top notch and superior decisions in my opinion-

these days- not at all like it used to be there--

they could eliminate these ROs-or just make the ROs check the basic eligibility requirements and dependency data- etc etc----send it off to the BVA and then it can be handled by someone who is

literate and fully versed in VA case law.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Most of the past 'changes' have worked against us or operated to squelch the latest outcry by diverting attention.

They gave us a court that can't enforce anything that the court does.

The court takes one issue at a time instead of attempting to outline all of the BS that a vet has brought before them, therefore, the hamster cage.

This is your claim.

You can't work and have not worked for 3 years due to combat related injuries.

Vet files at the RO,

Ro to vet-several different denials,

vet files an appeal to the BVA,

BVA sends it back to the RO

then Back to the vet,

then back to the RO,

then up to the BVA,

then back to the RO

then back to the vet, denial.

The vet asks for a hearing.

The vet gets a hearing.

Go to the DRO, denial,

back to the vet,

vet to the RO,

back to the vet,

vet files an appeal at the BVA,

BVA sends it back to the RO,

RO tells the vet that new and material evidence is needed to reopen,

vet to RO,

RO denial.

Vet to the BVA,

BVA back down to the RO,

RO back down to the vet,

Vet files with the CAVC,

Back to the BVA,

back to the RO,

back down to the vet, no new and material evidence to reopen.

Back to the BVA,

back to the RO,

back to the BVA and up to the court.

The court remands with instructions,

the BVA remands to the RO even though the court asked for an explanation, not further adjudication.

The RO schedules a C&P examination for last week.

The vet doesn't make the appointment because notice was a week late and the RO denies because there is no new evidence from the missed C&P exam, vet never showed.

Vet asks for another hearing,

2 years later and no hearing is ever scheduled.

Vet files for a writ of mandamus at the court,

court gives the VA 90 days to respond,

VA files a brief,

vet files a brief,

VA grants the claim with an effective date of the date that the vet's brief hit the court with a rating of 20%.

Mandamus is no longer an issue, case is closed at the court.

Vet files for TDIU,

RO schedules 6 new C&Ps,

Doctors find nothing wrong with the vet, 6 times, malingering.

Vet gets independent medical opinion and sends a copy to the RO,

RO schedules 3 more C&Ps,

'May' be a service connection or not.

RO bumps the percentage up to 30%.

Vet files for TDIU again,

RO wants to know if new and material evidence is coming,

vet says no,

RO does not respond for 18 months,

Vet calls his congressman,

RO says they are working the claim, for another 18 months.

Vet calls his congressman,

RO sends a letter of apology to the vet,

A year goes by,

Vet calls his congressman, congressman doesn't want to hear about it anymore, VA must be right.

Vet gets a lawyer,

lawyer says it will be 4 to 6 months to work up the claim.

Lawyer files for mandamus with the court.

The court gives the VA 30 days to respond.

Before the time is up the RO congratulates the vet and assigns a 50 percent rating back to the effective date, TDIU from this day forward.

Court closes the case.

Vet files for a better effective date, (through his lawyer)

RO denies,

vet appeals denial,

RO denies because no new evidence,

Vet goes to the BVA,

BVA remands back to the RO,

RO can't reopen a closed claim without new and material evidence,

Vet goes back to the BVA,

BVA remands back to the RO,

RO denies.

Vet goes back to court, etc., etc., etc.,

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

I agree. Be careful what you ask for. The current leaning is to cut benefits. What the report is saying is that there should not be as many disabled vets (compensation wise) because the labor market has changed. We are no longer held to manual labor jobs. Bust your back during service, no problem - go get a job in which you do not have to lift anything! I can see a move to rate a veteran for a physical disabiltiy, then provide training for a job which will allow him/her to work - send him out into the job market. VA mission complete - we gave him new job skills if he dont work that is his problem NO COMPENSATION. I really do see us heading in that direction. Now for disease related compensation I see it all going away. How does hypertension effect your employment ability? DMII? If you look at it not much if any at all. I have both and neither impacts on my employment so why compensate me? See what I mean. Now should I be compensated? yes. I served my country for 25 years. during that time I could not even get disability insurance on the loans I got with the loan shark companies that normall cater to the military. Yep they would sell it to me just to rip me off but if you read the really small small print you would find that if hurt on a "military mission" it would not pay. If I were just joe blow the civilian I could purchase and be able to AFFORD disability insurance to cover me and the family in case something should happen. I gave up that option to serve so I look at VA being that "disability" insurance I could not purchase or AFFORD. Just my opinion based on my personal situation.

This has been a very bad administration for veterans. We better unite quickly or we will see these radical changes come about and I would not put it past congress, once they see the savings which they can use on pet pork projects to insure reelection, to go along with such recommendations. It would take a few years but it could be done. If we don't get the national service organizations off their asses and make ourselves a viable voting target then we will lose. We could also expect to see such changes becoming retro-active which would affect all of us. The only way to win is to stand together, make our votes be heard and demand no such changes! I saw it on another post and will say it here - I do not see why anyone would sign on the dotted line these days after seeing what is happening and what is being planned in the veteran community. WE BETTER SPEAK UP NOW OR FOREVER HOLD OUR TOUNGES!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ricky

What administration in recent memory has been good for the veterans? Don't focus on the administration, the change positive or negative will be legislated by congress. For just once during an presidential campaign I would love to see a candidate when asked about their plan for the economy to state "it is not among the enumerated duties of the President to Introduce Legislation".

71M - you are correct about congress. However, treatment of veterans is usually based upon the administration since it is the administration that appoints idiots such as ole Sec Nicholson. These guys act as puppets and follow the string pulls of the administration. Congress usually looks at it as "hey we did our part, we made the laws" and then they close their eyes to all of the abuse for they know that a dime saved is a dime they can spend on pork projects. So no matter what law they enact it is usually for "election security". Once they have their two or four year stint secured its see no evil, hear no evil. It becomes worse as these idiots start their 5th, 6th etc... terms. So the bottom line - veteran issues are mostly handled by the administration and its focus on veterans vs DoD. In the past years the Sec of DoD has run over the VA. Now these congress idiots you speak of really focus on DoD for most have many contractors in their area who need DoD contracts that is why they close their eyes to veteran issues - their main thrust is to engage their local contractors in government contracts, then they have to rely on money from other areas to support their pork projects. Lets see here, will it be welfare or other entitlement programs? Nope, the voting base is too large there, hmmmmmm - who can we beat down and screw over.......Hey, those old veterans, they never vote cause most of them are druggies and dead beats anyway. The public is pissed off at them cause we give them a 110.00 bucks a month for hemmies so even if they make a stink about an issue the public could give a damn less and tell them to go ride their Harleys and screw the taxpayers out of 110.00 bucks a month. So when the Prez and VA Sec slight veterans, congress simply closes theirs eyes cause they know there will be extra money in the pot for them in the end and when all hell breaks loose on veterans issue they can jump up and scream "hey developed legislation for veterans issues and the Administration has totally ignored it, therefore, we will have to develop a committee to setup a committee who will start another committee that will investigate what went wrong. That way we can employ our family members and friends who used to work for XYZ - making the wife happy and securing campain funds to support my next election and allowing us to beat our chest in front of the american public during a time of war securing votes based upon our concern for veterans.

So you see, it does not matter who we focus on congress, senate, etc...... it really only matters how the administration views veterans issues and which puppet it puts in charge of the VA. Our congress an senate have their asses covered in any circumstance and do not care about veterans for our voice is not one of solidarity making veterans issues a much lower priority than that of the entitlement community. Just my opinion.