Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More Problems With Va Prescriptions

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Once again my prescription is late Aprazolam was due on June 2, and as of today not delivered. I found out not even sent either. After more than 2 hours on phone the solution was for me to cal my Primary Care Doc and get new Prescriptions.

Since November they lost my prescription and have not given me my refill on time once.I was polite today and talked to the Pharmacy and the new deal the VA Call Center. You cannot get directly to your Doc at VA anymore.

I am going to ask my Doc on Medicare if he will write a prescription for me and just buy it myself.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I use myhealthevet.com as well and it is great. It is easy to use, you can track your health and it’s free! I have used myhealthevet.com for about three years now and it gets better all the time with added features. I have been getting all of my meds from the VA for 4 ½ years now. Sometimes I would come up short on some of them so what I did was to have my PCP write a 30 day script for me to pay for myself. This way I would have plenty while my VA meds arrived. I understand that there are some meds that are way too expensive. Mine were pretty cheap.

I think the root of the problem is due numberFDA rules. You have a script for a med with refills on a monthly basis, let’s say on the 17th of each month, the VA can only refill a certain number of days prior to the refill date. If a script was due to be refilled on the 17th and the FDA says they can only refill up to 2 days prior, then it could actually be refilled on the 15th. Next, the VA has to actually refill the script, then they have to mail the meds, and this may take a few business days to get to you, meanwhile you are out of meds. I am not sure of the actual number of days prior a script can be refilled, I just used 2 days as an example.

Another way to get your meds quickly is go to your local VAMC Emergency Room and have the Doc on duty to write a script for say 15 to 30 units of your meds. They do this for me as well; however, my “local” VAMC is just under 2 hours away and that is too far for me.

I have everything addressed from the VA sent to my P.O. Box. This way if I have a large shipment of meds or other items they will place them in one of those lockers. The Post Office will also sign for the meds. One of meds, a narcotic, has to be signed for and the Post Office does that saving me time, money and frustration.

Edited by MarineDog

• HadIt.com Elder

I use myhealtevet and order online. My problem is the VA is waiting till the fill date and than taking their sweet time. Almost all my Meds are arriving after the fill date.

Don't know if it has something to do with which VA or what but a pharm tech let it slip that even though I use helthevet that the Dallas Pharmacy in Dallas has to release it. And there lies the problem.

Thanks for all responses.

Pete - the entire VA acts like you are stealing something whether it be benefits, medical care, meds etc... You know they take money out of the checks of va employees each pay period to fund the VA hahahahahaha