Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Connected Diseases

Rate this question

steve Mck

Question

Question,

Do I have cause for seeking higher SC disability, (currently 60%) of which 10% for tinnitus and 50% for PTSD, if I were to file for taking antidepressant Bupropion, Risperidone for intrusive thoughts-dreams/nightmares, Trazodone for insomnia, Vardenafil for ED, Valsartan for Blood Pressure, Prilosec for GERD and Lorazepam for anxiety??? I had a GAF score of 40 but that was probably on the high side. 4th. Inf. 1/12th. Nam 67-68.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Steve

Are you working? If not file for TDIU. With a GAF of 40 you should have gotten better than 50%. If a doctor will say your HBP is related to the PTSD you may have a claim for a secondary disability.

Thanks for responding. Yes I am working but finding it very difficult and will have to retire soon-probably in December...puts me close to SS. Should I get the VA Psy. Dr. to write a letter for me explaining that my depression, anxiety, high BP etc. is most likely secondary to the PTSD?

Thanks for responding. Yes I am working but finding it very difficult and will have to retire soon-probably in December...puts me close to SS. Should I get the VA Psy. Dr. to write a letter for me explaining that my depression, anxiety, high BP etc. is most likely secondary to the PTSD?

Depression and anxiety will be linked to your PTSD regardless (they really need to change mental disorder classifications). The high BP can be linked to PTSD, but the science on mental disorders causing physiological symptoms is limited at best. I'm not sure how serious the VA takes such claims, but I know it's merely guess work in the civilian world. Good luck.

Edited by Jay Johnson

Jay is right-

these claims have succeeded---- but only with strong medical evidence-

If your doctor can provide a complete medical opinnion and give a solid medical rationale that the PTSD ,other mental problems (if all due to PTSD) etc- are causing HBP- VA might sc the HBP-

if the doctor is a psychiatrist (therefore an MD).

A psychologist opinion might help but a psychologist does not have the medical backgrpound of a psychiatrist.

Jay is also right in that these mental conditions are all most surely linked together in your SC rating now.

• HadIt.com Elder

Steve

Can you somehow get your retirement written up as a disbility retirement. This would help you get a higher rating for the PTSD. Your working is probably the reason you got 50% instead of 70-100% on your PTSD.

Steve

Can you somehow get your retirement written up as a disbility retirement. This would help you get a higher rating for the PTSD. Your working is probably the reason you got 50% instead of 70-100% on your PTSD.