Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Connected Diseases

Rate this question

steve Mck

Question

Question,

Do I have cause for seeking higher SC disability, (currently 60%) of which 10% for tinnitus and 50% for PTSD, if I were to file for taking antidepressant Bupropion, Risperidone for intrusive thoughts-dreams/nightmares, Trazodone for insomnia, Vardenafil for ED, Valsartan for Blood Pressure, Prilosec for GERD and Lorazepam for anxiety??? I had a GAF score of 40 but that was probably on the high side. 4th. Inf. 1/12th. Nam 67-68.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Can't really take disability retirement because it cuts my retirement amount a great deal. I have been toughing it out for so so long, a few months more is about all that I can handle with respect to the stress and mental capability to deal with the work. All the drugs that I take make me feel lost and hopeless. I do have an excellent Dr. of Psychiatric medicine at the Batavia VA. He has been very helpful but I don't know how much he is willing to go to help me attempt to further my hope for greater SC. I didn't realize how messed up I have been until the last couple of years. God bless you all for your help.

Another NewYorker! I am from Cohocton- 20 minutes from the BATH VAMC.

I heard Batavia has an excellent PTSD program-

I would ask the doctor to help you on the secondary HBP-

but if you find that you need to retire from the job due to disability- the Doctor -with a statement as to how your PTSD renders you unemployable as well as a list of the side affects of the meds you take- will support a TDIU claim when the time comes.

John is correct on his assessment as to the rating of your PTSD due to your employability at this time.

Thank you for the reply. Batavia does have a very organized PTSD program with very nice people to work with. I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks for this forum as well.

Steve-when I re-read the title of this topic -

PTSD meds that raise the blood pressure and/or cause ED CAN be basis to get these other disabilities service connected.

Any medication that a vet takes for a SC condition that causes a ratable secondary disability should be claimed for the secondary SC rating.

I read a claim where a SC med taken for one condition could cause kidney damage over long term use.

The vet had his NSC kidney damage service connected to the fact that his SC med causes this.

There are many good medication webs sites that show what a medication can cause as a side affect-

You are right that many of those anti jungle pills can raise the blood pressure and many are contraindicated by other types of meds.

Certainly a vet should ask VA for the SMC "K" award if they have ED that is directly and medically attributable as side affect-to a SC medication.

Thanks for writing. I am learning so much from the forum and "Brothers" are offering very valuable help for which I appreciate so much. I am going to try to put everything all together i.e. the sleep apnea, high blood pressure, anxiety, PTSD, elevated liver enzymes, all the meds I take for insomnia, nightmares, major depression and all the rest and maybe I will get lucky. It all takes time and effort and lots of energy which is a challenge for me. God's Speed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Steve:

Welcome to Hadit. I recommend that you work on your claim a little bit at a time. As you put it together you will get the energy that you need. Keep in mind it takes the VA months to do anything so even 30 minutes to an hour a day is a good pace.

Good Luck