Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Guidance On Claim Increase

Rate this question

Detonator

Question

Here is my situation:

Medically Discharged in 1995 with a VA rating of 50% (20% Right knee PCL deficient, 10% Left knee instability and 20% degenerative disc disease L5 S1 in lower back).

I complained about my lower back over the years to my VA primary and was given an MRI by the VA in 2004. It showed a herniated disc L4 L5 and a bulged disc L5 S1. This was the first MRI for my back and showed more issues than the X-ray done on my original VA exam in '95

At the end of 2005 my back worsened and in early 2006 I began VA physical therapy. Shortly after, I lifted an item at my workplace and ended up on work comp. I had to stop my VA treatment and go through that process for 10 months. After the work comp. process was settled, I returned to the VA and had a disc laminectomy surgery. My VA doctor wrote that my degenerative disc disease is what weakened the spaces around that area and caused the herniated & bulged disc.

My questions…

What is the VA policy regarding service connected disabilities that have been aggravated by a civilian job? My work comp. situation is documented in my VA records. With such a long history of back problems (probably under-identified by the original x-ray, instead of an MRI) will I have any future problems getting an increase?

Since I ended up on state disability will that be a factor for any VA increase? Do they ask for information on this during the claim increase process? If I ever ended up at 100% SC would my state disability money be counted against me or is it only earned income that is limited?

Thanks for your help!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Detonator

If you are claiming benefits under workers compensation for the same injury as you are claiming VA benefits you will probably have to choose one or the other. Usually, it will be workers compensation that will seek to terminate your wage loss if you are getting VA compensation for the same injury. I was getting federal workers compensation for an increase in a service connected injury. Workers compensation made me choose between work comp. and VA compensation when I was incresed to 100% by the VA. If you are asked by either VA or workers compensation be honest. I would almost bet that your workers compensation will be reduced if you get 100% from the VA. If you get SSDI and workers compensation your SSDI will be reduced. Many of these programs have offsets. It is best to be honest and upfront so you don't build up overpayments. You can probably get medical treatment from both work comp. and VA but it is the compensation that creates a problem or duel benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

Detonator,

"What is the VA policy regarding service connected disabilities that have been aggravated by a civilian job? My work comp. situation is documented in my VA records. With such a long history of back problems (probably under-identified by the original x-ray, instead of an MRI) will I have any future problems getting an increase?"

Your civilian job aggravating a already service-connected disability should have any bearing on a future increas on way or the other. Just write to the VA stating you would like to apply for an increase in evaluation for your lower back and make sure they have the workman comp records and the records from your surgery. Also make sure they have al of your treatment records since your last C&P exam. The lower back. in your case since you were orginally rated in 1995, will be rated under either the old or the new rating crieria, which ever resukts in the higher rating.

"Since I ended up on state disability will that be a factor for any VA increase? Do they ask for information on this during the claim increase process? If I ever ended up at 100% SC would my state disability money be counted against me or is it only earned income that is limited?"

State disability has no affect on VA disability payments. It is in your best interest to make sure the VA is aware of all of your medical records since your last C&P exam. The VA will send you a "Duty to Assist" letter asking for information such as medical records and if they should obtain them for you. Either fill out the release of Information form and send it back to VA, or retrieve the records yourself and then submit them to VA.

I hope this helps!

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17

• HadIt.com Elder

Detonator

You might want to tell the state when you get your VA compensation increase or you may have an overpayment. At some point there is a duel compensation situation when dealing with workers compensation. Maybe the VA does not care but the state probably will care.