Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Service Connected Ptsd

Rate this topic

Guest Ginger

• HadIt.com Elder

Ron:

That is about right. After you have been denied you can get a lawyer and the SSA limits how much you will have to pay. Since you are talking about substantial back pay you should start looking right away. Don't forget that you are hiring someone so its best to interview and be sure you like them.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron:

That is about right. After you have been denied you can get a lawyer and the SSA limits how much you will have to pay. Since you are talking about substantial back pay you should start looking right away. Don't forget that you are hiring someone so its best to interview and be sure you like them.

Thanks once again Pete. I happen to belong to a Pre-Paid Legal Plan so I guess I should start by giving them a call and start the lawyer interview process.

Ron

even though SSDI is a federal program, states seem to do things different, in MN, the lawyer gets 1/4 or 5300.00 which ever is less. I got 42,000.00 in backpay, so the lawyer got 5300.00 plus I had to give him another 160.00 for misc. expenses. social security sent him his money, and I got a vheck for the rest, this was a couple of years back. just remember even if you have a lawyer, it doesn't guarantee you will get approved, I got 2 denials, then went before a ALJ Judge, with a real good lawyer, I thought and was turned down there to, but I had some relatives turn me in for doing work, which was untrue, but the judge believe the anomyous call, so the day after I received the denial, I file a new claim and appealed the first claim, I won the second claim just for PTSD, and anxiety problems, in 3 months, but no backpay, my first claim took about 4 years altogether, but I won, and the ALJ judge got a remand fror the main social security headquarters in baltimore, for denying me in the first place, as I have a copy of the letter, he just about got fired, over it, as the anomyous call was checked out, and they found who and why, and now I know too, and the reason behind, mainly jealous people, they didn't like me getting FREE money. I was awarded disabilities for 16 different injuries and diseases, both physical and mental problems from Vietnam, and work-related injuries, at the time was only 50% for PTSD, when I first filed for SSDI, but by the time I got it, I was 70% with TDIU P&T for PTSD, now 100% schedular for PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

You might start with the legal plan but make sure that the Lawyer is someone who normally dealls with Social Security or he may get himself and you skinned.

the lawyer I had, only dealth with social security claims, but we both got blindsided by the anomyous call, so unexpected things happen sometimes.

Guest VetWife Advocate
Hi, new here as of this morning. After reading your quoted comments I have a question, if I may ask. How much of the individuals overall rating be for PTSD before one qualifies for SSA (that is Social Security Admin I pre-suppose).

I am rated 100% permanent total with 150% of awarded disabilities of which 30% is for PTSD (as of Jan-2005). I filed for Social Security Disability Retirement back in the mid part of the year (about May or June) and my claim was rejected. I'm told this is normal. I suspect that before I refile I need to educate myself much better than I was then and now.

I've been reading a lot of what you all have been saying around here on various subjects and I'll keep looking and hopefully will become a bit more self-educated before I refile for my claim with the SSA. Naturally if anyone has any specific information I could use I'd certainly appreciate you sharing it with me or point in the direction I need to go.

If it is of any consequence I'm 55 and served in the Nam 1970-71 in the U.S. Army. I suffer from severe diabetes related to Agent Orange poisoning. If you need additional info just ask.

RON?

If you are l50% S/C, I would try again before I got the lawyer? $ you earned with your disability. I always tell people get it at least two trys and make sure you hand it to them on a silver platter.

Have you been working at all? Why did they deny you. Normal to get rejected, they count on it, it delays payout.

What did you tell SSDI why you can be no longer gainfully employed? Same as VA?

What is your laundry list of ailments and their %'s.

My husband was 70-71, 196th I corp? 11C He is 56, retired Army, hit the wall last June. PTSD, plus the depression/memory, cognitive problems, etc. He had no problem with SSDI.

I layed out the claim and took them all of the VA records and other medical records to copy. I also sent a personal letter as well as my dgtrs explaining what we saw as how it affected him during the years and how it had worsened. You guys have the Aging Brain syndrome, it ain't getting any better!!! Willing to help if I can.

Brenda Brenhay@aol.com