Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have Ssd, Try For Va Disability? Kidney Cancer

Rate this question

Riffjunkie

Question

My husband has had a long history of kidney problems, tumors, that turned out to be kidney cancer. Both kidneys involved. Had 9 surgeries, and got a new kidney from his brother last year. He has been on SSD for about 2 years due to kidney failure/kidney cancer. During this time, I discovered the possible link to his military service. (He was in Marine Corps from 84-88.

He was at Camp Lejeune during 1985 (not sure the exact dates, how could I find that out?) where the water toxicity was bad due to the dry cleaning fluid in the water as well as the fuel spill.

Questions: Should he apply for VA disability? How do we get started? He wants to go back to school, and we would like to look into Voc. Rehab and Educ. But we need to establish that his disability is service-connected first, correct?

He is only 41 and we have 4 young children, struggling to make ends meet and in debt up to our eyeballs. Thanks for any help, tips......Christine in Ohio

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can get a Doctor to opine that they see a link between his Service and his problem he should be eligible for VA Disability. I think that you have a good claim. It will probably take a long time to prevail maybe a year or so. Hadit can help you to win and to cut the time down.

Welcome to Hadit and good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

Absolutely apply. Request a DA form 20 (or Marine Corps equivalent) from St Louis NPRC or wherever the Corps keeps their records, to find dates at Camp Lejune. Plan on a lengthy claims process. Must get awarded SC before Voc Rehab will be awarded. You can apply for a state Voc Rehab in your state.

pr