Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reevaluation Of Issues

Rate this question

recruiterrick

Question

if a person has 8 service connected issues; 100%, 10, 10, 10, 0, 0, 0, 0 but is beginning to have issues with some of the 10's and zeros, would he be smart to have them reevaluated or not.

i'm actually kind of new dealing with the VA and I really don't want to mess up! :huh:

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It all depends, if the 10% or 0% evaluations are raised to a combined rating of an additional 60%, you would receive SMC "s".

However, keep in mind that if you file for an increase in evalution for some disabilities like your 10% and 0% evaluations, the VA may take a look at your 100% evalution. I'm not saying they will for sure, but it is a possibility. Also I'm saying this to "scare" you into not filing for an increase, I just want to make you are aware that this is a possibility.

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

SMC stands for Special Monthly Compensation. These are compensation amounts that are paid to veterans in addition to their rating percentage. The SMC "s" award is the statutory housbound award, which means that you receive it, not because you have shown a need for it as would normally the case, but because you are rated 100% for one disability and have additional disabilities that combine to 60% or more.

Vike 17

jeez, that's a lot of money. 100% for major depression and from what i've read on hadit they don't like to mess with mental conditions and i haven't worked since the 100% award.

i'm thinking i may just leave well enough alone.

i love this web site. so many smart people. THANX

• HadIt.com Elder

Some of the SMC's are for loss of use like erectile dysfunction. You can get that even if you don't have 100% plus 60%. Unless their is money involved and it is worth the stress of dealing with the VA I would not file for an increase unless it was very serious. Going from 10% to 20% on some more minor disability would probably not be worth the possible scrutiny of your 100%. Once you have been totally disabled for 5 years it becomes even harder for them to reduce you. Their is the issue of housebound if you are 100% schedular. The VA is supposed to consider that issue. They don't have to grant it but are supposed to consider it.

there are lots of things i don't know about dealing with the VA. like what is so significant about 5 years. on my rating decision under furture exam dates it says none. does that not really mean anything?

is that 5 years from the rating date or effective date

Edited by recruiterrick