Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Meds Suddenly Stopped

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

The VA just suddenly canceled husband's Plavix without any waring. He called to renew his meds and this one never came in. He called TAPS and they said that medicine was no longer carried by the VA because "it was the same as asprin" (which he also takes). They also said letters were sent out, which he never received. Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

What a crock of BS! I finally got mine after raising a big stink, seems that they only give it to you for 1 year after a stent or heart procedure. Has he had anything that is a year old? If so that is the problem. If you go to their rules plavix is only authorized for 1 year. I had to call my cardio dr. and get them to give me some samples and then fight the va to get them to fill it. I had another stent placed in March so they agreed, but still only for 1 year!

Stillhere

Stillhere,

November will be his 10 yr. mark since his quadruple bypass. He goes to an outside cardiologist who knows his history very well, and wants him on as many blood thinners as possible. They say he would not be a candidate for another surgery and has some blockage that can not be fixed. Maybe he should talk to the patient rep. and if that doesn't work keep going up the chain. He was flat out told they did not even carry Plavix anymore in the VA system...

sbrewer

Strange they told you that it flat out was not available but I am sure they are just trying to cover their own butts. As I said before I had my cardio Dr. write a new script and they filled for the next year but who knows after that. Please let us know how this works out for you and good luck.

stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is what you can do to get a fast response.

Call your VA and talk to your Primary care docs nurse.

Tell the nurse that the VA stopped the plavix and you would like the nurse or primary doc to send an email message or a note to the Cardio doc. Get the cardio doctor to re-write the prescription.

Usually you should be seen every 6 months or so by cardio.

It may not be the case for I am SC for heart disease and have seen only 1 heart doc (Stress Test).

This should clear it up.

Another thing is if you have health insurance, Then you need to contact the patient Rep at the hospital. Explain that you are a Veteran but you are also a paying customer and there is no reason to cut off your meds for budget purposes. (Bottom line)

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Did they send the aspirin instead?

This could be a critical situation:

http://www.nerve.in/news:25350056399

There is plenty more recent info on the web as to plavix and sudden withdrawal-

I would not worry if you take action (documented action)to determine what the affect of this withdrawal could have on your husband-

The PT rep is a good start but his doctor is better to advise on this.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the same problem they stopped my Plavix, the cardiologist stated that studies show that after one year the same benefit is acheived by taking aspirin daily, and they refused to renew it, now I have been on it for 4 years, my doc wrote a script for the generic and told me to take it to walmart, walmart told us that the generic was recalled due to being put on the market to soon and there was no generic available but they could fill it with Plavix for 148 a month

The VA is taking this stand because Plavix is one of the meds they can not get their discounts on and they have decided to stick to the one year rule. I am in the same boat no more surgeries and my docs feel I should stay on the Plavix but the VA is being the VA on this issue

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."